American actress and model
Lucy Alexis Liu Yu Ling (born December 2, 1968), known as Lucy Liu, is an American actress, voice actress, director, singer, dancer, model and artist.
- The challenge from the beginning was just the diversity and ‘We don’t really know what to do with you’ and ‘There’s not going to be a lot of work for you.
- On being an Asian American actress in “How Lucy Liu Battled Against a Lack of Diversity to Become a Hollywood Star” in Variety (2019 May 1)
- The lack of predictability with television is something that’s constantly changing what your perception of who you think your character is…
- On how television differs from Liu’s other acting ventures in “Lucy Liu’s Independent Woman” in Interview Magazine (2014 Oct 30)
- Growing up as somebody from another country, really, not what you see on television, I never saw myself in the forefront, ever. We were always in the background.
- On the lack of Asian American representation on television in “The Evolution of Lucy Liu” in CBS News (2017 May 7)
- You can't allow fear to take over your life. If you do, you'll look back and you'll have regrets. I learned this a long time ago, because I think "my God, my parents came over from another country". It would be really scary for me to move to China and leave everything behind. But I have to remember that fear is something everyone feels and it's natural. You might feel fear 10 times a day in your life, and you have to try to understand it…
- On not letting fear dictate your life in “Lucy Liu: The Q Interview” in Independent (2003 Jun 29)
- Everyone has a different format for how they want to reveal what they are thinking, or what they are seeing, to the audience…I just had to let go of the audience and just started thinking about what I wanted to see.
- On her painting style in “Lucy Liu on making art to find a sense of belonging” in CNN (2019 Nov 28)
- I think that art helps evaluate some of the psychology of yourself as a child, and to illuminate some things you may never have understood.
- On the power of art in “Lucy Liu on making art to find a sense of belonging” in CNN (2019 Nov 28)
- I realized it had everything to do with how I grew up and the interaction I had with my father, that he was somewhat abusive…That made me understand that your body retains not just physical damage, but emotional perforations.
- On her “41 Series” in “Lucy Liu on making art to find a sense of belonging” in CNN (2019 Nov 28)