|This on article on an author is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
Modern American Poetry 1950Edit
- All poetry is the reproduction of the tones of speech
- The poet's dilemma..to create order in the midst of disorder
- To reveal man in relation to the universe the poet must show himself not only concerned with the immensities but with the trivialities of daily life, with a sense of the past continually interupting the present.
- It takes a heap o’ children to make a home that’s true,
And home can be a palace grand, or just a plain, old shoe;
But if it has a mother dear, and a good old dad or two,
Why, that’s the sort of good old home for good old me and you.
- Mother Goose Up-to-date
- Laughter shall drown the raucous shout;
And, though these shelt’ring walls are thin,
May they be strong to keep hate out
And hold love in.
- Poem, Prayer for This House