American musician, recording artist, singer-songwriter (1942-2013)
Lou Reed (2 March 1942 – 27 October 2013) was an influential American rock singer-songwriter and guitarist. He first came to prominence as the guitarist and principal singer-songwriter of the Velvet Underground (1965–1970).
- My week beats your year.
- In the liner notes of Metal Machine Music
- LR: "Are you political, Lou? Audience: "Yeah, are you?" LR:"Political about what? You give me an issue, I'll give you a tissue and you can wipe my ass with it."
- On his Take No Prisoners album
- Nothing beats 2 guitars, drum and bass.
- In the liner notes of New York
- Anyone that gets to side four is dumber than I am.
- Of his 'Metal Machine Music' double album, as quoted at BBC - collective - Lou Reed: RR Buyer's Guide (and elsewhere; please put the original here if you know it.)
- This is the impossible level, boys. Impossible doesn't mean very difficult, very difficult is winning the Nobel Prize, impossible is eating the sun.
- He's probably the single most untalented person I've heard in my life. He's a two-bit pretentious academic, and he can't play rock'n'roll, because he's a loser. And that's why he dresses up funny. He's not happy with himself, and I think he's right.
- On Frank Zappa in Uptight: The Velvet Underground Story (1996) by Victor Bockris and Gerard Malanga
- Of course. All the best people are.
- When asked if he was Jewish. Quoted in the Jewish Chronicle obituary, 1 November 2013, p. 31
- It always bothers me to see people writing 'RIP' when a person dies. It just feels so insincere and like a cop-out. To me, 'RIP' is the microwave dinner of posthumous honors.
- On death
- The news I feared the most, pales in comparison to the lump in my throat and the hollow in my stomach. Two kids have a chance meeting and 47 years later we fight and love the same way – losing either one is incomprehensible. No replacement value, no digital or virtual fill . . . broken now, for all time. Unlike so many with similar stories – we have the best of our fury laid out on vinyl, for the world to catch a glimpse. The laughs we shared just a few weeks ago, will forever remind me of all that was good between us. — John Cale about Reed's death 
- Some people like to go out dancing
Other people they have to work
Just watch me now
And there's always some evil mothers
They'll tell you that everything is just dirt
That women never really faint
And that villains always blink their eyes
And that children are the only ones who blush
And that life is just to die
But anyone who ever had a heart
They wouldn't turn around and break it
And anyone who ever played a part
They wouldn't turn around and hate it.
They'd say Jane, Sweet Jane.
- And I feel just like Jesus' son
- Life's like a mayonnaise soda
And life's like space without room
And life's like bacon and ice cream
That's what life's like without you
- Candy came from out on the Island
In the backroom she was everybody's darlin'
But she never lost her head
Even when she was giving head
She says, Hey babe
Take a walk on the wild side
- Candy says
I've come to hate my body
And all that it requires
In this world
. . .
What do you think I'd see
If I could walk away from me
- Candy Says
- I'll be your mirror
Reflect what you are
In case you don't know
- I'll Be Your Mirror
- When she turned blue, all the angels screamed.
- " Run Run Run"
- The Rally Man's patter ran on through the dawn
Until we said so long to his skull
- Black Angel's Death Song
- "Just watch," said Sheila, touching her finger to her head.
- The Gift (written by Lou Reed, narrated by John Cale)
- You made me forget myself; I thought I was someone else, someone good.
- Perfect Day
- I watched it for a little while, I like to watch things on TV
- Satellite Of Love
- An eye for an eye is elemental.
- I Believe
- There are problems in these times, but none of them are mine
I'm beginning to see the light
- "Beginning to See the Light"
- First thing you learn
is that you've
always got to wait
- "I'm Waiting for the Man"
- Jesse you say Common Ground
Does that include the PLO?
- Good Evening Mr. Waldheim
- Attacking Jesse Jackson's support for terrorist organisations
- And Pontiff, pretty Pontiff
Can anyone shake your hand?
Or is it just that you like uniforms
and someone kissing your hand
- Good Evening Mr. Waldheim
- Attacking the Pope for receiving ex-Nazi Kurt Waldheim