Lone Star (1996 film)
1996 film by John Sayles
- Directed and written by John Sayles.
John Sayles invites you to return to the scene of the crime.
Sheriff Sam DeedsEdit
- You oughta put up a banner: "Frontera, Texas: gateway to inexpensive pussy."
- No telling yet if there's been a crime, but this country's seen a fair amount of disagreements over the years.
- All my mother does is work. That's how you get to be Spanish.
- All that other stuff, all that history? To hell with it, right? Forget the Alamo.
- It's not like there's a line between the good people and the bad people. It is not like you're one or the other.
- Hell, at my age, you learn a new name you gotta forget an old one.
- Mickey: Think her family's gonna be okay that you're a white guy?
- Sgt. Cliff: They think any woman over 30 who isn't married is a lesbian. She figures, they'll be so relieved that I'm a man...
- Mickey: Yeah, it's always heartwarming to see a prejudice defeated by a deeper prejudice.
- Bartender: I'm as liberal as the next guy.
- Sheriff Sam Deeds: If the next guy is a redneck.
- Chucho Montoya: You're the sheriff of Rio County, right? Un jefe mui respectado. [drawing a line in the sand] Step across this line. You're not the sheriff of nothing anymore, just some tejano with a lot of questions I don't have to answer. A bird flying south, you think he sees this line? Rattlesnake? Javelina? Whatever you got. You think halfway across that line they start thinking different? Why should a man?
- Sheriff Sam Deeds: Your government's always been pretty happy to have that line, the question's just been where to draw it.
- Chucho Montoya: My government can go fuck itself, and so can yours! I'm talking about people here. Men.
- Sheriff Sam Deeds: Mrs. Bledsoe?
- Minnie Bledsoe: That's me.
- Sheriff Sam Deeds: I'm Sheriff Deeds.
- Minnie Bledsoe: Sheriff Deeds is dead, honey. You just Sheriff Junior.
- Sheriff Sam Deeds: Yeah, that's the story of my life.
- Coworker: Your mother's family is Spanish?
- Pilar Cruz: Sure, they go back to Cortés. When he rode by, they were squatting in a hut cooking hamsters for dinner.
- Chris Cooper as Sheriff Sam Deeds
- Matthew McConaughey - Buddy Deeds
- Kris Kristofferson - Sheriff Charlie Wade
- Elizabeth Peña - Pilar Cruz
- Stephen Mendillo - Sgt. Cliff
- Joe Morton - Colonel Delmore Payne
- Ron Canada - Otis Payne
- Jesse Borrego - Danny
- Tony Plana - Ray
- Frances McDormand - Bunny
- Clifton James - Mayor Hollis Pogue
- Tony Frank - Fenton (final film role)
- Míriam Colón - Mercedes Cruz