Chief of the Miami people (c. 1747 – July 14, 1812)
Quotes from MichikinikwaEdit
- I have been the last to sign this treaty; I will be the last to break it.
- upon signing the Treaty of Greenville, August 3, 1795
- "My forefather kindled the first fire at Detroit; from thence, he extended his lines to the head waters of Scioto; from thence, to its mouth; from thence, down the Ohio, to the mouth of the Wabash, and from thence to Chicago, on lake Michigan"
- Claiming tribal lands at the Treaty of Greenville (American State Papers, Indian Affairs, vol. 1, pp. 570-571; Dft. Ex. 96).
Quotes about MichikinikwaEdit
- This site honors the great Chief of the Miamis, Meshekinoqua, "The Little Turtle," son of the great Chief Acquenacque. He is held in the hearts of his people, allies, and foes with the greatest of honor and respect for his courageous valor and peacemaking.
- marker at gravesite in Fort Wayne