- Mugiri rwa kunyitura agirire rwa kunyitia.
- Translation: One can cause the illness which he wanted to cure.
- English equivalent: The remedy is often worse than the disease; Burn not your house to rid it of the mouse.
- Meaning: The effect of a treatment or bodily enhancement – whether pharmaceutical or not, whether a household remedy or professional-ordained – is often worse than what it was intended to cure or alleviate.
- Source: Macmillan (1960). 1,000 Kikuyu proverbs: with translations and English equivalents. The Clarendon press. Yiddishn kultur-kongres. p. 55.
- Kikuyu Proverbs Center Over 2000 Gĩkũyũ proverbs.