Sir Kenneth Arthur Dodd OBE (8 November 1927 - 11 March 2018) was a English comedian and singer and actor, famous for selling over 100 million records, his buck teeth, frizzy hair, feather duster (or "tickling stick"), and his catchphrases, often playing on the 'tickled' motif, e.g. "How tickled I am!". He works mainly in the music hall tradition, although, in the past, has occasionally appeared in drama, including as Malvolio in Shakespeare's Twelfth Night on stage in Liverpool in 1971; on television in the cameo role of 'The Tollmaster' in the 1987 Doctor Who story Delta and the Bannermen; and as Yorick (in silent flashback) in Kenneth Branagh's film version of Shakespeare's Hamlet in 1996.
|This musician-related article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Laughter is the greatest music in the world and audiences come to my shows to escape the cares of life. They don't want to be embarrassed or insulted. They want to laugh and so do I - which is probably why it works.
- Did you know that a laugh is something that comes out of a hole in your face? Anywhere else and you're in dead trouble!
- I had an idyllic childhood and when my parents bought me a Punch and Judy Show and a ventriloquist's dummy, I'd perform anywhere, anytime. My parents were wonderful when I told them I wanted to be an entertainer.
- Comedy should never be over-analysed. It's either funny or it isn't. There's a subtle difference between those who say funny things and those who say things funny.
- Television is like a great monster, eating your gags as fast as you say them.
- My dad knew I was going to be a comedian. When I was a baby, he said, 'Is this a joke?
- I haven't spoken to my mother-in-law for 18 months. I don't like to interrupt her.
- You think you can get away, but you can't. I'll follow you home and I'll shout jokes through your letterbox.
- So it turns out that if you bang two halves of a horse together, it doesn't make the sound of a coconut.
- I think it would a good idea now if all the ugly ones came and sat down near the front! You have! Good!