The Way (1950)Edit
- Gold, silver, jewels: dust, heaps of manure. Gratification, sensual pleasures, satisfaction of the appetites: like a beast, like a mule, like a cock, like a pig, like a bull. Honours, distinctions, titles: things of air, puffs of pride, lies, nothingness.
- All the things of this world are no more than earth. Place them in a heap under your feet and you will be so much the nearer to heaven.
- You are too calculating. Don't tell me you are young. Youth gives all it can: it gives itself without reserve.
- First, prayer; then, atonement; in the third place, very much 'in the third place', action.
- True virtue is not sad or disagreeable, but pleasantly cheerful.
- I am every day more convinced that happiness in Heaven is for those who know how to be happy on earth.
- With God's grace, you have to tackle and carry out the impossible, because anybody can do what is possible.
- Even in our times, despite those who deny God, earth is very close to Heaven.
- The pedant interprets the simplicity and the humility of the wise man as ignorance.
- People who are stupid, unscrupulous, or hypocritical, think that others are just the same. And — this is the real pity — they treat them as if they were.
- The understanding that so many people demand of others is that everyone should join their party.
- It is easier to bustle about than to study, but it is also less effective.
- The higher a statue is raised, the harder and more dangerous the impact when it falls.
- For everyone, whatever his state — single, married, widowed or priest — chastity is a triumphant affirmation of love.
- Never say of anybody under you: he is no good. It is you who are no good, for you cannot find a place where he will be of use.
- Those in love do not know how to say good-bye: they are with one another all the time.
- The strength of a chain is the strength of its weakest link.
- Work is man's original vocation. It is a blessing from God, and those who consider it a punishment are sadly mistaken.
- You are ready to give your life for your honour ... Be ready to give up your honour for your soul.