British illustrator, graphic humourist and political cartoonist
|This artist article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- A wasp in a wig is altogether beyond the appliances of art.
- Refusing to illustrate a proposed chapter in Through the Looking-Glass, as quoted in The Life and Letters of Lewis Carroll (1898), p. 146
- It is a curious fact that with Through the Looking-Glass the faculty of making book illustrations departed from me. … I have done nothing in that direction since.
- Declining to illustrate a later book by Lewis Carroll, as quoted in The Life and Letters of Lewis Carroll (1898), p. 146
M. N. Cohen & E. Wakeling, Lewis Carroll and his Illustrators (2003)Edit
- Please let me know to what extent you have used, or intend using, the pruning knife.
- Urging Carroll to shorten Through the Looking-Glass; p. 14
- The nine Wise Words are full of wisdom, besides being decidedly funny.
- Of Carroll's essay Nine Wise Words about Letter-Writing; p. 18
- How true it is that some have greatness thrust upon them! - and you may be quite sure that it was none of my seeking.
- Of his knighthood; p. 18
Quotes about TennielEdit
- Tenniel is the man.
- Mr. Tenniel is the only artist, who has drawn for me, who resolutely refused to use a model, and declared he has no more needed one than I should need a multiplication-table to work on a mathematical problem!
- Lewis Carroll to Gertrude Thomson, letter of 31 March 1892
- Quoted in M. N. Cohen & E. Wakeling, Lewis Carroll and His Illustrators (2003), p. 247
- Tenniel raised the political cartoon to a new level of dignity and importance.
- Edward Hodnett, Image and Text (1982), p. 167
- "John Tenniel (1820-1914)" by Edward Wakeling (March 2008)
- Works by John Tenniel at Project Gutenberg
- Free eBook of Tenniel Illustrations for Alice in Wonderland by Sir John Tenniel at Project Gutenberg
- John Tenniel's illustrations for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass
- More about John Tenniel and the making of the illustrations for the Alice's Adventures in Wonderland books
- A collection of Tenniel's American Civil War-era illustrations