English actor and theatre director (1904-2000)
|This Actor article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- I feel so sorry for those poor men sitting up there all day. They must be so cold.
Quotes about GielgudEdit
- [As Caliban in a production of Shakespeare's The Tempest Ralph Richardson was having difficulties in rehearsal]
- I couldn't find my feet very well and after a rehearsal, John said to me one day "Would you care to run over your scene with me?" so I thought to myself "Not much". So rather grudgingly I said "Oh yes, all right". So we ran through it, just the two of us in the theatre with the director and Johnny said "Well you know Ralph, I think that when you come on, you might do this or you might do that, you might do this" - he gave me, as he usually does, about three or four suggestions. I thought to myself My god, so I might, I might do one of those. And he talked about Sycorax my mother...he gave me about two hundred ideas as he usually does, twenty-five of which I eagerly seized on, and when I went away I thought "This chap, you know, I don't like him very much but by God he knows something about this here play." He helped me so much that I looked at him afterwards in quite a different way. And then out of that we formed a friendship."
- Quoted in Ronald Hayman, 'Gielgud', Heinemann 1971, p. 67
- John Gielgud didn't play Hamlet, he was Hamlet.