former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives
- What we really expect out of the Democrats is for them to treat us as they would like to have been treated.
- "Pelosi Elected Speaker, First Woman to Lead House", FoxNews.com (2007-01-04)
- If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, it would be Christmas everyday.
- Dismissing a question on the wisdom of cutting funding to homeland security. 
- Just because you have a right to do something in America does not mean it is the right thing to do.
- "World Weighs In to Condemn Terry Jones' Planned Quran-Burning", "Sunshine Times", 2010-8-09
- We lost one of one of the great leaders of our lifetime on Monday. She was a true friend of America, and a champion of freedom. We're going to ensure that Margaret Thatcher’s legacy is honored by the United States government in a way commensurate with her enormous achievements.
- I leave with no regrets or burdens. If anything, I leave as I started; just a regular guy humbled by the chance to do a big job.
- Farewell speech (29 October 2015).