English cricketer (born 1990)
- I just told [Ali] to stay calm. Remember that you’ve got more time than you think. In this format of the game the bowlers are under more pressure than you are. Stay nice and relaxed. Thankfully he managed to get us across the line.
- JOE ROOT told Moeen Ali not to panic after he got out in England’s record run-chase against South Africa, quoted on Express.co.uk, "Revealed: What Joe Root said to inspire England to World T20 South Africa win", March 19, 2016.
- There’s no better feeling than winning when you’re up against it. More than anything I can’t wait to get back in the dressing room and celebrate with the rest of the boys.
- After England vs. South Africa, quoted on Express.co.uk, "Revealed: What Joe Root said to inspire England to World T20 South Africa win", March 19, 2016.
- We tried not to be too greedy, and to play smart cricket and take it deep. It sets it up nicely for the group stages.
- Quoted on The Guardian, "Joe Root leads the way as England record stunning World Twenty20 win", March 18, 2016.
- I think our preparation has been good, we’ve worked extremely hard individually and as a team, and when it’s come to games the guys have stepped up and performed under pressure. That’s exactly what we need if we are to be very successful at this tournament. Under pressure the bowlers performed very well at the death, but now it’s about doing it when it counts. The best thing is we’ve got these experiences to call on when the tournament starts and we’re actually under real pressure when it really matters. Fingers crossed the guys can take all that confidence forward into the group games.
- On World T20, "World T20: Joe Root challenges England squad to keep their cool in India", March 14, 2016. Steve Smith
Quotes about RootEdit
- I would love to do that. They (Kohli and Root) have been playing brilliantly. I love both. Outstanding cricketers and they have been fantastic for a long period of time. Watching these two bat and perform in the way they have been performing, you can learn a lot.
- New Zealand captain and top batsman Kane Williamson, quoted on Indian Express, "England vs New Zealand: There’s plenty to learn from Virat Kohli and Joe Root, says Kane Williamson", March 31, 2016.
- Root is a class player and he is one of the best around in all three formats of the game at the moment.
- England all-rounder Ben Stokes, quoted on Deccan Chronicle, "England bank on Joe Root to unravel Kiwi spinners' web", March 29, 2016.
- He wants to learn new things and to evolve as a cricketer. What you have to understand is that Joe hasn't played that much T20 cricket, he hasn't had that much experience of playing in the subcontinent, he's still finding his way. So for him to go out in a tough situation [referring to a great game between England and South Africa, where Joe Root's 83 from 44 balls led to an achieved target of 230 to beat South Africa] - probably the situation dictated the way he had to play, started slowly but to keep up with the run rate he had to be innovative. But he just kept his cool, made sure the guys around him do a bit of work as well, so when you look at the bigger concept, he's the guy that England would want to do that kind of role for them in this tournament. [He is a] good all-round cricketer, there are about four-five young good players in this tournament that everyone is going to look out for and he is one of them
- Mahela Jayawardene, quoted on ESPNCRICINFO, "Jayawardene praise for 'special' England batting performance", March 19, 2016.
- Root is the most complete batsman we've ever had, he's incredible.
- Eoin Morgan, quoted on ESPNCricInfo, "World T20 2016 March 19, 2016 Morgan hails 'incredible' Root as England achieve lift-off", March 19, 2016.
Encyclopedic article on Joe Root at Wikipedia