American entrepreneur and neuroscientist; founder of Palm Computing
|This Businesspeople article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- If you look at the history of big obstacles in understanding our world, there's usually an intuitive assumption underlying them that's wrong. In the case of the Solar System it was intuitively obvious that the Earth was at the center of the Solar System and things moved around us, but that just turned out to be wrong. … And it intuitively seems correct that the brain is just some sort of computer—it just seems natural. … But it has undermined almost all of our work to build intelligent machines and understand thinking. It's just wrong … the brain isn't like a computer at all.
- The key to artificial intelligence has always been the representation. You and I are streaming data engines.
- The New York Times: Jeff Hawkins Develops a Brainy Big Data Company (28 November 2012)
- I do two things: I design mobile computers and I study brains.
- Jeff Hawkins at TED2003: "How brain science will change computing" (February 2003)
Quotes about HawkinsEdit
- Jeff Hawkins ... has served as inspiration to countless AI researchers, for which I give him a lot of credit.
- Andrew Ng in The Register: "Meet the man building an AI that mimics our neocortex – and could kill off neural networks" (29 March 2014)
- Palm founder Jeff Hawkins used to carry around a wooden mock-up of the PalmPilot to show what a smart device could look like, thus communicating his vision of the future.
- Madanmohan Rao in YourStory: "‘Every startup is a moonshot’ – how to use moonshot principles to galvanise innovation and achieve bold targets" (8 June 2018)