Jayne Mansfield (19 April 1933 – 29 June 1967), born Vera Jayne Palmer, was an American actress and sex symbol. Famed for her platinum-blonde hair, dramatic hourglass figure, and cleavage-revealing costumes, she emerged during the 1950s appetite for well-endowed sex symbols led by Marilyn Monroe. Is the mother of the actress Mariska Hargitay.
- I like being a pin-up girl. There's nothing wrong with it.
- As quoted in The Sex Goddess in American Film, 1930-1965: Jean Harlow, Mae West, Lana Turner, and Jayne Mansfield (2009) by Jessica Hope Jordan
Here They Are Jayne Mansfield (1992)Edit
- Quotes from Here They Are Jayne Mansfield (1992) by Raymond Strait
- I will never be satisfied. Life is one constant search for betterment for me.
- A woman should be pink and cuddly for a man.
- I don't want to get involved in the racial situation at the expense of losing fans. I wouldn't say anything too strong but I do know that God created us equal and we're not living up to it.
- A forty-one inch bust and a lot of perseverance will get you more than a cup of coffee — a lot more. But most girls don't know what to do with what they've got.
- Carrying a baby is the most rewarding experience a female can enjoy. A father shares in that experience, knowing that he caused it to happen.
- Mickey is a hard worker. He takes care of the house, looks after my animals, and satisfies me. What else can one expect of a man?
- On her second husband, Mickey Hargitay
- Honey, beside me, you look like Tony Randall!
- Remark to one of the Gabor sisters
- I don't know why you people [the press] like to compare me to Marilyn or that girl, what's her name, Kim Novak. Cleavage, of course, helped me a lot to get where I am. I don't know how they got there.
- I've been identified with pink throughout my career, but I'm not as crazy about it as I've led people to believe. My favorite colors are actually neutrals—black and white—but then who thinks of a movie queen in black and white? Everything has to be in living color.
On Being Blonde (2004)Edit
- Quotes of Mansfield in On Being Blonde : Wit and Wisdom from the World's Most Infamous Blondes (2004) by Paula Munier
- Nothing risqué nothing gained!
- p. 78
- We eat a lot of lean meat and fresh vegetables…. You are what you eat, you know. When I'm 100, I'll still be doing pin-ups.
- p. 78
- It is the most wonderful feeling in the world, you know, knowing you are loved and wanted.
- p. 79
- If you're going to do something wrong, do it big, because the punishment is the same either way.
- p. 79
Quotes about MansfieldEdit
- Jayne Mansfield is making a career of being a girl.
- Walter Winchell, as quoted in On Being Blonde : Wit and Wisdom from the World's Most Infamous Blondes (2004) by Paula Munier, p. 79