American author, radio and television comedian and talk show host (1918-2004)
Jack Harold Paar (May 1, 1918 – January 27, 2004) was an American author, radio and television comedian and talk show host, best known for his stint as host of The Tonight Show from 1957 to 1962. Time magazine's obituary noted that: "His fans would remember him as the fellow who split talk show history into two eras: Before Paar and Below Paar."
- Now that man can fly through the air like a bird ... and swim in the sea like a fish, wouldn't it be wonderful if he could just walk the earth like a man?
- My Saber is Bent (1961)
- Of course, if there's one thing more annoying to a performer than being recognized on the street, it's not being recognized.
- 3 on a Toothbrush (1963), p. 274
Quotes about PaarEdit
- Something rare these days—a wit.
- Stan Laurel, as quoted in Mr. Laurel and Mr. Hardy (1961) by James McCabe, p. 241