Irwin M. Stelzer (born 1932) is an American economist
|This economist article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
Newsnight debate (2010)Edit
- Debate on the matter of technically self-employed couriers in the UK being legally paid less than the minimum wage — as little as 50p per delivery Newsnight (3 December 2010) - YouTube video
- Well, I think there are people who are getting work that they wouldn't otherwise have. For many of them apparently, it fits in with their lifestyles, so that they can make their own schedules. I think you've got a company that is expanding and delivers, what? A hundred million parcels a year. So somebody's happy with the service, and somebody's happy doing the job.
- Well it seems to me absolutely scandalous to try to set wage levels which wipe out jobs. I mean these are people who are not on the dole. They want to work and if you price them out of the market its gonna be a lot worse for them and for the economy.
- I started delivering flowers for 25 cents a shot so don't tell me about the shop floor.
- Spare me a lecture from somebody in parliament to somebody who started out delivering flowers for 25c a shot.