I had my eyes
opened. I came to realize that I had more to offer this world
than just making things that blow up.
Iron Man (2008) is a superhero film based on the fictional Marvel Comics character Iron Man, and is the first installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The film's sequel is Iron Man 2.
TONY STARK WAS ABLE TO BUILD THIS IN A CAVE!
WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!
Mr. Stark, you've become part of a bigger universe. You just don't know it yet.
- [Stark is presenting a new missile system to a group of high-ranking military men]"Is it better to be feared or respected?" — I say, is it too much to ask for both? With that in mind I humbly present you the crown jewel of Stark Industries' Freedom Line. It's the first missile system to incorporate the latest in proprietary Repulsor Technology. They say that the best weapon is the one that you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree! I prefer… the weapon you only have to fire once. That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it…and it's worked out pretty well so far. Find an excuse to let one of these off the chain, and I personally guarantee you the bad guys won't even want to come out of their caves. [one of the missiles launches and heads for the mountains in the distance, when it nears, the missile launches a large number of smaller warheads] For your consideration…the Jericho. [missiles warheads detonate with a massive explosion and kick up a massive shock wave]
- [To Stark as he removes the arc reactor keeping him alive from his chest] Do you really think that just because you have an idea, it belongs to you? Your father, he helped give us the atomic bomb. Now, what kind of world would it be today if he was as selfish as you?
- Christine Everheart: Mr. Stark, you've been called the Da Vinci of our time. What do you say to that?
- Tony Stark: Absolutely ridiculous, I don't paint.
- Everheart: What do you say to your other nickname, "The Merchant of Death"?
- Stark: That's not bad.
- [After Stark's one night stand with Christine]
- Pepper Potts: I have your clothes here; they've been dry cleaned and pressed. And there's a car waiting for you outside that will take you anywhere you'd like to go.
- Christine Everheart: You must be the famous Pepper Potts.
- Potts: [smiling] Indeed I am.
- Everheart: After all these years, Tony still has you picking up the dry cleaning.
- Potts: I do anything and everything Mr. Stark requires. Including, occasionally, taking out the trash. [still smiling] Will that be all?
- Tony Stark: [To a dying Yinsen, as he attempts a breakout in his new battlesuit] We gotta go. Come on, move with me. We have a plan, and we're going to stick to it.
- Yinsen: This was always the plan, Stark.
- Stark: Come on, you're going to go see your family. Get up.
- Yinsen: My family is dead, Stark. And I'm going to see them now. [sees Tony is upset] It's okay. I want this. I want this.
- Stark: Thank you for saving me.
- Yinsen: Don't waste it. Don't waste your life, Stark. [dies]
- [Tony Stark addresses a press conference]
- Tony Stark: I never got to say goodbye to my father. There's questions I would've asked him. I would've asked him how he felt about what his company did, if he was conflicted, if he ever had doubts. Or maybe he was every inch of man we remember from the newsreels. I saw young Americans killed by the very weapons I created to defend them and protect them. And I saw that I had become part of a system that is comfortable with zero accountability.
- Press Reporter #1: Mr. Stark, what happened over there?
- Stark: I had my eyes opened. I came to realize that I had more to offer this world than just making things that blow up. And that is why, effective immediately, I am shutting down the weapons manufacturing division of Stark Industries. [reporters become agitated]
- Tony Stark: [After seeing the gold 3-D render of his suit] A little ostentatious, don't you think?
- JARVIS: [dripping with sarcasm] What was I thinking? You're usually so discreet.
- Stark: Tell you what. Throw a little hot-rod red in there.
- JARVIS: Oh yes. That should help you keep a low profile. [seconds later] The render is complete.
- Stark: [upon seeing the new render] Hey, I like it. Fabricate it, paint it.
- JARVIS: Beginning automated assembly. Estimated completion time is five hours.
- Stark: Don't wait up for me, honey.
- Jim Rhodes: You're not a soldier.
- Tony Stark: Damn right I'm not. I'm an army.
- Engineer: Mr. Stane. Sir, we've explored what you've asked of us and it seems as though there's a little hiccup. Actually, um...
- Obadiah Stane: A hiccup?
- Engineer: Yes, see to power the suit... sir, the technology doesn't actually exist. So it...
- Stane: Wait, wait, the technology? [gestures towards the Arc Reactor] William, William... here is the technology! I've asked you to simply make it smaller.
- Engineer: Yes, sir, and that's what we're trying to do, but... honestly, it's impossible —
- Stane: [yelling] TONY STARK WAS ABLE TO BUILD THIS IN A CAVE! WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!
- Engineer: Well, I'm sorry. I'm not Tony Stark.
- [Stane pursues Stark to high altitudes. Iron Monger grabs Iron Man's thruster moments later.]
- Obadiah Stane/Iron Monger: You had a great idea, Tony, but my suit is more advanced in every way!
- Iron Man: How'd you solve the icing problem?
- Stane/Iron Monger: Icing problem? [Ice forms over suit, "eyes" flicker and go out, and its thrusters shut off]
- Iron Man: Might want to look into it. [Thumps Stane on the helmet and sends him tumbling back to Earth]
- [After end-credits. Tony reaches home]
- Tony Stark: Jarvis.
- JARVIS: [distorted] Welcome home, Sir. [Jarvis cuts out]
- [Tony notices a figure by the window looking outside]
- Unknown Man: "I am Iron Man." Think you're the only superhero in the world? Mr. Stark, you've become part of a bigger universe. You just don't know it yet.
- Stark : Who the hell are you?
- Unknown Man: [appears in light] Nick Fury, director of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Stark: [nonchalantly] Ah.
- Fury: I'm here to talk to you about the Avenger Initiative.