How to Get Away With Murder
2014 American legal drama television series
The show is about a law professor (portrayed by Viola Davis) at a university in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania who gets involved in a murder along with four of her law students.
- Annalise: Never take a learning opportunity away from another student. No matter how smart you need everyone to think you are.
- Michaela: I wanna be her.
- Annalise: Think carefully, everything after this moment will not only determine your career but life. You can spend it in a corporate office drafting contracts and hitting on chubby paralegals before finally putting a gun in your mouth or you can join my firm and become someone you actually like. So decide: do you want the job or not?
It's All Her Fault [1.02]Edit
- Annalise: Do you know who anyone really is?!
Smile, or Go to Jail [1.03]Edit
- Asher: Hooker Mom turned out to be Bomb Mom. I freaking love this job.
- Annalise: Choose your husband carefully, Ms. Pratt. You'll only have yourself to blame if it ends badly.
- Sam: Well, she can't resist a challenge, can she?
Let's Get to Scooping [1.04]Edit
- Wes: How do you know it's one of her employees?
- Annalise: I don't. I just know everybody hates their boss.
- Annalise: [speaking to Sam] Why is your penis on a dead girl's phone?
We're Not Friends [1.05]Edit
- Rebecca (to Wes): I've been staring at the walls for like three days. I need company, otherwise I might go all red rum on your ass. Although, something tells me you might be into that.
- Michaela (to Asher): Oh my God, are you crying?
- Asher: No, allergies.
Freakin' Whack-a-Mole [1.06]Edit
He Deserved to Die [1.07]Edit
- Annalise: He didn't do it.
- Nate: You don't believe that. You planted Lila's phone in Griffin's car. [off his look] What? You surprised someone's on to your tricks.
- Annalise: You should go.
- Nate: I tried to give you an out. Don't forget that when this all goes to hell.
He Has a Wife [1.08]Edit
- Annalise [berating Connor]: Are you good for anything or can you only do your job when you're screwing evidence out of someone?
- Annalise (to Sam): I'm gonna lose my case because all I can think about is you with that girl. How many times was it? Seven? That's all it took for you to knock her up. This is what I get. This is what happens when you screw somebody else's husband. You become sad, barren. Now even a dead girl is more of a woman than you.
Kill Me, Kill Me, Kill Me [1.09]Edit
- Wes: Sam killed Lila and Rebecca's trying to prove it.
- Michaela: Wait, what?
- Connor: I'd pay to see her face right now.
- Annalise: Sam, it's me. I didn't think that you would pick up. Still there's so much I need to say to you in person, not by phone but I guess this will have to do. We've built a life together, Sam, twenty years. Whatever we've said to each other, all the horrible things. We've seen each other through so much, everything good and bad in our lives. So much pain. So much happiness. It's a rare thing to know someone that well and bare witness to so much in someone's life. So I'm asking you right now, no begging, please forgive me for what I said. I didn't mean any of it and I know you didn't either. I don't want things to end this way. I want us to work through this. I want us to be together. Because whatever you did, whatever the truth is, I will stay by your side through all of it, no matter what. Because I'm your wife and I love you and I need you. So please come home, Sam. Come home so we can be together. Come home.
Hello Raskolnikov [1.10]Edit
- Annalise: Let me help you. Let me help you. Because if you do, I promise you will get away with this.
- Rebecca: Are you sure she doesn't know?
- Wes: Of course not.
- Rebecca: She apologized to me. That's not something she does. Ever.
- Wes: She doesn't know.
Best Christmas Ever [1.11]Edit
- Asher: I object to working on this case on moral grounds.
- Bonnie: Then you can go work at another law office.
- Asher: Really? You're going to fire me when I can file a sexual harassment suit?
- Annalise: Thank God I don't have a gun or I'd shoot her myself.
She's a Murderer [1.12]Edit
- Annalise: Here's the thing, Mr. Walsh. You're not gonna trust me, that's just not in your nature. But you can stop worrying because and you might have forgotten this, but I'm your only option here. Without me, you'll go to prison.
- Connor: That doesn't mean we won't end up there.
- Annalise: No, it doesn't. But the odds are better with me.
- Annalise: Whatever you say to the police can and will be misconstrued to support the prosecution. So when in doubt, shut your mouth.
Mama's Here Now [1.13]Edit
- Ophelia: So, your no-counts, sorry ass husband, who I said 'Don't marry', couldn't keep his p in his pants and slept with a white woman! Then fool goes and kills the white woman. Then you go and find out that she had his bun in her last seal. And after the thing, your ex-police boyfriend kills the no-good husband and gets himself arrested. And you, now, ain't got no husband, ain't got no boyfriend and you holed up in this bed like the Queen of Sheba. Does that about cover it?
The Night Lila Died [1.14]Edit
- Michaela: You ruined our lives, don't you get that? I was supposed to be getting married and I'm not anymore. Aiden called off the wedding because of you. You dragged us into the horror show that is your life, and now we're all screwed forever. So you're going to tell us the truth. Every horrible secret about that night that you haven't told anyone. Or I swear to God, I will personally destroy you. Tell us the damn truth, Rebecca. Did you or did you not kill Lila?
It's All My Fault [1.15]Edit
- Annalise: Let's have the trial. You've all convinced yourselves that we were wrong, that Sam didn't kill Lila, that we got Rebecca off for nothing. And you feel unfairly persecuted, trapped. I don't blame you. So let's be fair to everyone and figure it out once and for all. Let's finally give Rebecca her day in court.
It's Time to Move On [2.01]Edit
- Frank: Where are you going?
- Annalise: To get us a murder case that didn't happen in this house.
- Nate: So put yourself in my shoes, the woman who framed me tells me to replace my lawyer with her friend and I'm just supposed to trust that it's in my best interest?
- Eve: What do you mean framed you?
She's Dying [2.02]Edit
- Annalise [to Bonnie after learning she killed Rebecca]: You're running point on Caleb and Catherine. And don't you dare smile. The only reason I haven't fired you is cause I can't be in two places at once. Screw up again, you're gonna be the next dead body in this house.
- Laurel: Michaela, you are not going to Nate's trial.
- Michaela: I never said I was! Okay, I can't be the only one who wants to go.
- Connor: You want us, the real murderers, to go to the fake murderer's trial?
- Wes: Annalise would kill us!
- Laurel: I'd kill you!
It's Called the Octopus [2.03]Edit
- Annalise: Do you want to keep your business or do you want to go to jail for being a negligent slut?
- Bonnie [to Laurel]: I made you promise not to see Frank and then I go and hook up with Doucheface? And the worst part, I fell for that putz!
Skanks Get Shanked [2.04]Edit
- Annalise: I think about it a lot, killing myself. I have ever since I was a child. A lot of times I think the world would be a much better place without me in it. But I don't do it. You're a better woman than me and if I don't deserve to die, then you definitely don't.
- Connor: Zoe would have killed again and I can not deal with anymore blood on my hands.
- Annalise: You know where else there's blood? My husband's to be specific. Your car.
- Connor: Laurel said that Frank got rid of it.
- Annalise: That's a lie. Make me out to be the villian if it helps you sleep at night, but don't you ever screw with my cases.
Meet Bonnie [2.05]Edit
- Annalise: You want to know the truth? Asher was going to testify against everyone in this house, so Bonnie told him that she killed Sam in order to save your asses! Because that's what we do around here. Ruin everyones lives to save yours. Nate's, mine and now Bonnie's. Who's next, huh? Whose life do you want to destroy to stay free?
- Michaela: Why didn't you just tell us?
- Annalise: Because I'm trying to protect you like always. When are you gonna finally accept that?
Two Birds, One Millstone [2.06]Edit
- Annalise: I'll protect you, Asher, but we need to protect Bonnie too. That's what we do for people that we love, right?
- Annalise: I couldn't not come.
- Nate: Because you know what you took from me. She needed me. The whole time I was in jail, in court but I wasn't there. Because you stole that from us. The only time we had left together. You stole that! So no cobbler or apologies can fix that.
- Annalise: Right. I would hate me too.
- Nate: I don't hate you. I just don't care about you. I gave Nia those pills because I loved her. And I laid next to her in that bed, held her as she fell alseep. So close I could feel when she took her last breath. No one's ever gonna love you that way. Leave. Leave!
I Want You to Die [2.07]Edit
- Annalise: Me not paying attention to you is the best compliment you could ever get. 'Cause that means I don't have to worry about you. Go back to the office and stop being needy.
- Bonnie: I want you to die. That's what I want. That it was you they killed in this house. Not Sam because he'd have never done this to me.
Hi, I'm Philip [2.08]Edit
- Annalise: Imagine your parents are the sick ones and you're the one that gets thrown out with the trash. I'd have killed them, too. Good luck in getting the jury to believe the inbred weirdo didn't do it.
- Annalise: You know more about me than most people.
- Nate: That's sad because I don't know you.
What Did We Do? [2.09]Edit
- Annalise: They killed Sam, Asher. It wasn't Bonnie. She just said that to protect them, but Sam attacked Rebecca and they killed Sam. And I've been covering for them the whole time. And now they're going to help cover for you.
- Michaela: Why are you doing this to us?
- Annalise: Because all of this, everything that's happened... Sinclair coming after me, using Asher, now this. It all started with what the four of you did. Now let's get to work!
- Sinclair You enjoy being her little boy toy, don't you? That's why you keep running back to Annalise again and again, so she can fight your battles for you. You prefer to have her boss you around, tell you what to do. Like hire her bestie and kill Nia.
- Nate: Keep my wife's name out of your mouth! Say her name again. Say it!
- Sinclair: And then what?
- Eve Rothlo: Good God, Annalise, what did we do?
What Happened to You, Annalise? [2.10]Edit
- Annalise: You're messing with the wrong bitch.
She Hates Us [2.11]Edit
- Michaela: I do think people are redeemable. We're all capable of having a bad day. Doesn't mean it should define you for life.
- Wes: What do you want me to say? That I grew up poor, was bullied, that my mom killed herself? 'Cause all that's true, but I've gotten through my whole life knowing it, and it's never caused me to lose sleep. You know what has, though? Law school.
It's a Trap [2.12]Edit
- Bonnie: Do you trust me?
- Asher: Yeah.
- Bonnie: Then believe me when I say I will tell you when it's time to freak out. We're not there yet.
- Bonnie: You know, we could stop. Let it all burn. We'll all go to jail. But is this really better than that?
- Annalise Keating: I never wanted children. Never even crossed my mind till I turned your age, and everyone asking, "When? Why not? You'll feel different when the baby's in your hands. It's the greatest experience of your life." Now I have five of them, and I know... it's the worst experience of my life.
Something Bad Happened [2.13]Edit
- Annalise: There's not a day that goes by that I don't lie to my clients. Call it unethical or illegal. I just call it smart.
- Annalise: He's been watching us, me and my students, which means that my life as well as theirs are in danger.
- Annalise: I needed something in my life, someone who loved me. You did that, and I loved you back. But not in a way that either of us deserved.
- Eve: I don't even know what that means.
- Annalise: It means you live your life, I live mine, straight or gay, whatever you want to call it.
There's My Baby [2.14]Edit
- Oliver: You think I'm weak and that I can't handle your secrets.
- Connor: That's not true.
Anna Mae [2.15]Edit
We're Good People Now [3.1]Edit
- Annalise: Congratulations. You've each been hand-chosen to take part in my very first criminal law legal clinic. In here you're not just student, but actual practicing lawyers responsible for your own cases and clients. You finally get to be me.
- Annalise: Everything's fine. The police have moved on. Nothing bad's happened all summer-
- Michaela: Like that means anything.
- Annalise: It means we're safe. And you want to know why? We're good people now. Say it to yourself until you believe it.
- Annalise: I told myself to stay away. What was broken in me was broken. No one could fix it. And I did the opposite.
I'm Going Away [4.1]Edit
- Annalise Keating: My house burned down, and as I result, I lost everything that I owned. None of it matters, though, because a life was lost too. My student, Wes Gibbins, took his life at my home. And I wake up every day knowing that a young man with so much potential, who needed me the most, died because I decided to take a drink.
- Laurel: I'm having the baby, so... I thought about it, and... I want to have it. I'm due in 5 months, which is soon. That's crazy soon, but yeah, that's my news.
- Michaela: We're in a relationship, all of us, whether you like it or not, so you don't get to unilaterally decide when it's over.
- Connor: Of course I want to get married. I want us to have kids and a house and a dog and grow old and die within a week of each other. But I want to say yes because we're in a good place, not- not because you're afraid that I'm going to jail or someone's going to kill us, but because things are normal and good and we're happy just being boring old us. For once, I just- I want to do something the right way.
I'm Not Her [4.2]Edit
- Michaela: This is Lord of the Flies, baby. Not every little Piggy's gonna make it off the beach alive.
- Oliver: Look at everything you've gotten away with. People are dead and you didn't go to jail and you have the nerve to have an existential crisis?
- Frank: I'm always gonna be here. When you want me, when you don't want me. I'm always gonna take care of you, Annalise.
- Connor: I was there, Laurel. I saw him dead. And you could've died too. And then I lied to your face all that time. I hate myself more than you could ever hate me... if that makes you feel any better.
- Laurel: It doens't.
- Connor: What can I do to make it better?
- Laurel: You can't. None of us can. He's gone. And it's not your fault, so stop hating yourself.
- Connor: I can't.
It's for the Greater Good [4.3]Edit
- Laurel: Oliver started his own I.T. company. Michaela got a great internship. Asher's still looking for one. So am I. Guess those letters weren't that helpful. And Connor just decided to drop out completely. Oh, and we still don't know who killed Wes. So yeah, everything's great.
- Annalise: You could never separate your emotions from your job.
- Bonnie: That's you right now, not me.
- Annalise: That's what always made you a bad lawyer.
- Connor: What's best for me is you trust that I know how to make my own life decisions, whether you agree with them or not, because that's what a real supportive family does. Are we clear?
Was She Ever Good at Her Job? [4.4]Edit
- Michaela: I have made a place for myself here. It is mine and I have a real mentor this time.
- Annalise: You're going it again: looking for a mommy everywhere you go. Me, Tegan, whatever woman you encounter next... You want us all to be the mother yours never was.
I Love Her [4.5]Edit
- Bonnie: I am pathetic. I know.
- Isaac: You've been my patient a month now, and that is not a word that I would use to describe you.
- Bonnie: Maybe I just made it all up. That we were the same. We were both abused. We both lost babies. But maybe that's what screwed us up, too. 'Cause she wanted a child, and I wanted to be what she wanted.
- Bonnie: I was so desperate for someone who wouldn't rape me that I took what I could get, and that's not love. That's trauma. And that's what you should be telling me right now. That I am right to hate her, that I am right to want to hurt her.
- Isaac: You feel her pain as your pain, her suffering as your suffering. That's love. And until you admit that, you're not gonna be able to move past the anger, and the obsession, and the anger and obsession, and need to hurt that you can't stop feeling.
- Bonnie: It's just easier to hate her.
- Annaliase: You're a lot stronger than you think, Connor.
- Connor: I just told you I wanted to die. How is that strong?
- Annalise: Because you came here instead.
- Bonnie: We're not the same. And that's what you've never understood. You made me into you. Or you tried. And so you brought home the sad, trashy, abused girl and dressed her up like you. Until you realized that she would never be who you wanted, so you just threw her out into the street like she was just another intern. Like everything she'd ever done for you meant nothing, because she's nothing.
- Annalise: You don't need me. You don't. And maybe you never did. You're wrong. I never saw you as nothing. You were never trash in my eyes. And now look at what you've done. Look at what you've done!
Stay Strong, Mama [4.6]Edit
- Annalise: I was drowning in other people's needs for years- clients, my students. Them leaving me alone was a dream come true.
Nobody Roots for Goliath [4.7]Edit
- Connor: We're suing the freaking governor. The Attorney General is arguing against us. It's... a once-in-a-lifetime case.
- Jacqueline: I know what I'm risking by being here, Annalise. That's how serious this is. We lost our daughter Stella a few years ago. Suicide.
- Annalise: Why are you telling me this?
- Jacqueline: I think Isaac is using again.
- Asher: I'm in the power seat here, okay, and I've made a decision! Everything bad that happens to us happens to us because some of us get our rocks off by keeping secrets. Therefore, in conclusion, I've decided no more secrets.
- Michaela: Hey, what if it were you? What if you had died in that house and not Wes? I would be doing exactly what Laurel's doing!
- Asher: I don't think you would.
- Michaela: Of course I would!
- Asher: No, because Laurel loved Wes, and you don't even know what love is.
- Michaela: What? I love you, and you know that!
- Laurel: You have done so much worse than this, Frank. You have framed people, murdered them, even when they were considered completely innocent. Meanwhile, all I'm trying to do is put my father in jail for the actual crimes he actually committed. That's not crazy. It's just right.
Live. Live. Live [4.8]Edit
- Annalise: I can't do this anymore. I can't keep forgiving you for all the horrible, sick things that you do. And the only reason I did it before was because I knew you'd survived hell, like me, but no more.
- Bonnie: It's not that I'm like you. It's that I love you. Isaac helped me see it, that all of this, every insane thing that we do to each other, it's a form of love!
- Annalise: Stop saying that word, Bonnie!
- Bonnie: This is me knowing what I want. And I know that I love you and that I need you, and maybe you can love me, too, and that's okay. It's all okay.
He's Dead [4.9]Edit
Everything We Did Was for Nothing [4.10]Edit
He's a Bad Father [4.11]Edit
Ask Him About Stella [4.12]Edit
Lahey v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania [4.13]Edit
- Olivia Pope: Anna Mae Harkness. Born in Memphis in 1967. Attended junior college for two years, then university, then law school, where she was one of just twenty women in her class and one of only two black students in the entire school. And in an alumnae interview, she is quoted as saying a career goal was to argue a case before the United States Supreme Court.
- Annalise: And win.
- Olivia: And win.
- Annalise: You know this isn't about a bucket list or saving my reputation. It's about knowing that I've done something that matters. And I know that you want it, too, because I can see it in you. It's why I asked my family to be here and why I asked you to be here. Because winning this case will matter to me like... nothing in my life ever has. So stop worrying about me. Stop handling me. And let me do my job the best way I know how.
- Olivia: Okay.
- Laurel: Michaela, please tell me you didn't.
- Connor: She totally did.
- Michaela: I didn't.
- Oliver: Didn't what?
- Connor: Bang the press secretary.
- Oliver: What?!
- Michaela: Former press secretary. And I didn't. Okay, I did, but it was a one-time mistake and it meant nothing. Please don't tell Asher, it'll destroy him.
- Connor: Destroy him like it destroyed me when you stole this case?
- Jacqueline: Isaac overdosed, Annalise. The police found him in his car three days ago.
- Annalise: Is he dead?
- Jacqueline: No. But his kidneys are failing. Do you get why I told you to stay away now?
- Annalise: This wasn't my fault.
- Jacqueline: Telling me about Stella is what sent him to this place, Annalise.
- Annalise: You needed to know.
- Jacqueline: I already knew. But now look what you did. You ruined him, just like you ruin everyone in your life.
- Annalise: Racism is built into the DNA of America. And as long as we turn a blind eye to the pain of those suffering under its oppression, we will never escape those origins. The only safeguard people of color have is the right to a defense, and we won't even give them that. Which means that the promise of civil rights has never been fulfilled. Due to the failure of our justice system, our public defense system in particular, Jim Crow is alive and kicking- laws that made it illegal for blacks and whites to be buried in the same cemetery, that categorized people into quadroons and octaroons, that punished a black person for seeking medical attention in a white hospital. Some may claim that slavery has ended. But tell that to the inmates who are kept in cages and told they don't have any rights at all. People like my client Nathaniel Lahey and millions like him, who are relegated to a subclass of human existence in our prisons. There is no alternative to justice in this case. There is no other option. To decide against my plaintiff is to choose lining the pockets of prison owners over providing basic defense for the people who live in them. And is that the America that this Court really wants to live in? Where money is more important than humanity? Where criminality is confused with mental health? The Sixth Amendment was ratified in 1791. It's been 226 years since then. Let's finally guarantee its rights to all of our citizens.
- Viola Davis as Professor Annalise Keating
- Billy Brown as Detective Nate Lahey
- Alfred Enoch as Wes Gibbons
- Jack Falahee as Connor Walsh
- Katie Findlay as Rebecca Sutter
- Aja Naomi King as Michaela Pratt
- Matt McGorry as Asher Millstone
- Karla Souza as Laurel Castillo
- Charlie Weber as Frank Delfino
- Liza Weil as Bonnie Winterbottom