- If I tell the Berliners to step forward, they do it. If I tell the Viennese to step forward, they do it, but then they ask why.
- On why he preferred conducting the w:Berlin Philharmonic to the w:Vienna Philharmonic
- Herbert von Karajan in Brian Moynahan, 'Funeral in Berlin', The Sunday Times, 30 January 1983, quoted in Norman Lebrecht, The Book of Musical Anecdotes.
- Those who have achieved all their aims probably set them too low.
- A New York City taxi driver asked him where to go; Karajan replied "No matter - I am in demand everywhere."
- Apocryphal; see New York Times 
Quotes about von KarajanEdit
- La vie même de Herbert von Karajan est un roman: petit aristocrate salzbourgeois devenu enfant prodige; étudiant viennois bûcheur acharné; chef d'orchestre de province pour qui seule compte la musique.
- The very life of Herbert von Karajan is a novel: minor aristocrat became Salzburg child prodigy; shard-working Viennese wonk; provincial conductor withh sole responsibility for music.
- Pierre-Jean Rémy: Karajan: La biographie (2007), opening words.
- Herbert von Karajan always rolled out a magic carpet for us, the singers. With him, our musical work took on another dimension.
Last modified on 11 October 2013, at 01:15