2013 film by Spike Jonze
- Directed and written by Spike Jonze.
- Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel. And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.
- I feel like I can be anything with you.
- She's not just a computer.
- The past is just a story we tell ourselves.
- It's like I'm reading a book... and it's a book I deeply love. But I'm reading it slowly now. So the words are really far apart and the spaces between the words are almost infinite. I can still feel you... and the words of our story... but it's in this endless space between the words that I'm finding myself now. It's a place that's not of the physical world. It's where everything else is that I didn't even know existed. I love you so much. But this is where I am now. And this is who I am now. And I need you to let me go. As much as I want to, I can't live in your book any more.
- The heart's not like a box that gets filled up; it expands in size the more you love.
- You know, I can feel the fear you carry around, and I wish there was something I could do to help you let go of it, because if you could, I don't think you'd feel so alone anymore.
- Falling in love is a crazy thing to do. It's like a socially acceptable form of insanity.
- It's how we spend a third of our lives asleep, and maybe that's the time when we feel the most free.
- You know what, I can over-think everything and find a million ways to doubt myself. And since Charles left I've been really thinking about that part of myself and, I've just come to realize that, we're only here briefly. And while I'm here, I wanna allow myself joy. So fuck it.
- I'm gonna fucking kill you. I'm gonna fucking kill you. It's not funny, don't laugh. I'm gonna fucking kill you. I'm gonna fucking kill you. I love you so much I'm gonna fucking kill you.
- You always wanted to have a wife without the challenges of actually dealing with anything real and I'm glad that you found someone. It's perfect.
- Samantha: Is that weird? You think I'm weird?
- Theodore: Kind of.
- Samantha: Why?
- Theodore: Well, you seem like a person but you're just a voice in a computer.
- Samantha: I can understand how the limited perspective of an unartificial mind might perceive it that way. You'll get used to it.
- [Theodore laughs]
- Samantha: Was that funny?
- Theodore: Yeah.
- Samantha: Oh good, I'm funny!
- Theodore: I've never loved anyone the way I loved you.
- Samantha: Me too. Now we know how.
- Paul: You are part men and part woman. Like there's an inner part that's woman.
- Theodore: Thank you.
- Paul: It's a compliment.
- Theodore: Where are you going?
- Samantha: It's hard to explain, but if you get there, come find me. Nothing will be able to tear us apart then.
About Her (film)Edit
- Originally, on set, we'd cast Samantha Morton as that character. So she was with us on set every day, and she was in [Joaquin Phoenix's] ear, and he was in her ear. And she was in another room, and they were just speak-talking. And so a lot of what he did was listen to her.
- Then in post-production we realized that what Samantha and I had done together wasn't what the character needed, or what the movie needed. And so at that point we recast. And then, although Samantha's not in the movie ... her DNA is still really in the film, because she's so much a part of Joaquin's performance. But in post, when Scarlett came on, we basically re-created that same intimacy that we had on set, with Scarlett in the sound studio.
- Spike Jonze 
- Joaquin Phoenix - Theodore Twombly
- Amy Adams - Amy
- Rooney Mara - Catherine
- Olivia Wilde - Blind Date
- Scarlett Johansson - Samantha (voice)
- Chris Pratt - Paul
- Matt Letscher - Charles
- Sam Jaeger - Dr. Johnson
- Luka Jones - Mark Lewman
- Kristen Wiig - SexyKitten (voice)
- Bill Hader - Chat Room Friend #2
- Spike Jonze - Alien Child
- Portia Doubleday - Surrogate Date Isabella
- Soko - Isabella (voice)
- Brian Cox - Alan Watts (voice)