2013 film by Spike Jonze
- Directed and written by Spike Jonze.
- Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel. And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.
- I feel like I can be anything with you.
- She's not just a computer.
- The past is just a story we tell ourselves.
- It's like I'm reading a book... and it's a book I deeply love. But I'm reading it slowly now. So the words are really far apart and the spaces between the words are almost infinite. I can still feel you... and the words of our story... but it's in this endless space between the words that I'm finding myself now. It's a place that's not of the physical world. It's where everything else is that I didn't even know existed. I love you so much. But this is where I am now. And this is who I am now. And I need you to let me go. As much as I want to, I can't live in your book any more.
- The heart's not like a box that gets filled up; it expands in size the more you love.
- You know, I can feel the fear you carry around, and I wish there was something I could do to help you let go of it, because if you could, I don't think you'd feel so alone anymore.
- Falling in love is a crazy thing to do. It's like a socially acceptable form of insanity.
- It's how we spend a third of our lives asleep, and maybe that's the time when we feel the most free.
- You know what, I can over-think everything and find a million ways to doubt myself. And since Charles left I've been really thinking about that part of myself and, I've just come to realize that, we're only here briefly. And while I'm here, I wanna allow myself joy. So fuck it.
- I'm gonna fucking kill you. I'm gonna fucking kill you. It's not funny, don't laugh. I'm gonna fucking kill you. I'm gonna fucking kill you. I love you so much I'm gonna fucking kill you.
- You always wanted to have a wife without the challenges of actually dealing with anything real and I'm glad that you found someone. It's perfect.
- Samantha: Is that weird? You think I'm weird?
- Theodore: Kind of.
- Samantha: Why?
- Theodore: Well, you seem like a person but you're just a voice in a computer.
- Samantha: I can understand how the limited perspective of an unartificial mind might perceive it that way. You'll get used to it.
- [Theodore laughs]
- Samantha: Was that funny?
- Theodore: Yeah.
- Samantha: Oh good, I'm funny!
- Theodore: I've never loved anyone the way I loved you.
- Samantha: Me too. Now we know how.
- Paul: You are part men and part woman. Like there's an inner part that's woman.
- Theodore: Thank you.
- Paul: It's a compliment.
- Theodore: Where are you going?
- Samantha: It's hard to explain, but if you get there, come find me. Nothing will be able to tear us apart then.
About Her (film)Edit
- [It] touches on all of the themes that you're talking about in terms of the way we live in our modern life right now. But also it's writing about something that I think has maybe always been here, which is our yearning to connect, our need for intimacy, and the things inside us that prevent us from connecting. And that sort of tension has always been there. So I think, you know, where we're at right now has a particular set of challenges, but what I'm talking about has probably existed as long as we've existed.
- I think the other thing that's been really exciting about it is that as I've talked to people, the variety of reactions for what the movie's about is wide. You know, like some people find it incredibly romantic, some people find it incredibly sad or melancholy, or some people find it creepy, some people find it hopeful.
- That makes me really happy to hear, you know, because to me it's everything. It's all these different things I'm thinking about, and a lot of them are contradictory. And I like hearing what it is to you.
- Spike Jonze, "Spike Jonze Opens His Heart For 'Her'" All Things Considered, NPR, Dec 16 2013.
- Joaquin Phoenix - Theodore Twombly
- Amy Adams - Amy
- Rooney Mara - Catherine
- Olivia Wilde - Blind Date
- Scarlett Johansson - Samantha (voice)
- Chris Pratt - Paul
- Matt Letscher - Charles
- Sam Jaeger - Dr. Johnson
- Luka Jones - Mark Lewman
- Kristen Wiig - SexyKitten (voice)
- Bill Hader - Chat Room Friend #2
- Spike Jonze - Alien Child
- Portia Doubleday - Surrogate Date Isabella
- Soko - Isabella (voice)
- Brian Cox - Alan Watts (voice)