American poet and editor
|This People article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
The New Poetry (1918)Edit
- 'Verse libertines' pioneered the work to get rid of obstacles between that which hampered the poet and separated him from his audience, less a matter of rules and formulae , more a return of spirit.
- What is new poetry? The difference is not mere details of form, measure rhyme schemes or diction, but a return to contemporary speech, thought, imagination and spiritual life, coupled with oriental (Japan & China) and cosmopolitan influences ,and a direction of vision, with perfection of form and delicacy of feeling.
- The New Poetry -An anthology ed Monroe & Henderson Macmillan 1918
A Poet 's Life (1938)Edit
- Poetry, perhaps the finest of fine arts, certainly the shynest and most elusive? ,poetry which must have listeners, which cannot sing into a void.
- 'A Poets life, Seventy Years in changing world' Macmillan, New York 1938
- A book of poems should have almost as many dedications as titles for the poet must always sing for some friend whether the friend knows it or not
- Dedication 'You and I' Macmillan, New York October 1914