Guys and Dolls
1950 American musical with music and lyrics by Frank Loesser and book by Jo Swerling and Abe Burrows
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
Sky Masterson edit
- No doll can take the place of aces back to back.
- Daddy! I got cider in my ear.
- Is it wrong to gamble or only to lose? I'd better come back for help when I'm broke.
- Among my people, being considered a chump is like losing your citizenship.
- You have wished yourself a Scarsdale Gallahad, a breakfast-eating, Brooks Brothers type. - "I'll Know"
- A one-woman mission for the personal salvation of me?
- Luck be a lady tonight. Luck be a lady tonight. Luck, if you've ever been a lady to begin with, Luck be a lady tonight! - "Luck Be a Lady"
- A lady wouldn't leave her escort. It isn't fair, it isn't nice. A lady wouldn't wander all over the room and blow on some other guy's dice! - "Luck be a Lady Tonight"
- Obediah, that's my real name. I've never told that to anyone before.
Sarah Brown edit
- It's just so unusual for a successful sinner to be unhappy about sin.
- You must think I'm an awful prude, don't you?
- If I were a bell I'd be ringing!
Nathan Detroit edit
- A guy without a doll? Well, if a guy does not have a doll, who would holler on him? A doll is a necessity!
- Gettin' married ain't something you can just jump into like it was a kettle of fish! We ain't ready!
- What do you mean? A marker isn't just a piece of paper that says, 'I.O.U. 1000 dollars signed Nathan Detroit.' It's like a pledge that a guy can't welch on it. It's like not saluting the flag! My marker's as good as gold, only Joey Biltmore don't think so!
- Oh, I don't mind, Nathan, if you don't give me a present. It makes me feel like we were married.
- See? I told you reading don't make people go blind.
- In other words, just for waiting around for that plain little band of gold, a person can develop a cold. -"Adelaide's Lament"
- Wait until you fall in love with somebody you shouldn't! Wait till it happens to you!
Nicely-Nicely Johnson edit
- Nicely-nicely, thank you. (whenever asked how he is)
- I've got the horse right here, his name is Paul Revere, and here's a guy that says that if the weathers' clear, can do...can do...this guy says the horse can do. If he says the horse can do...can do...can do. -Fugue for Tinhorns
- When a bum buys wine like a bum can't afford, you can bet that that bum is under the thumb of some little broad - "The Guy's Only Doing It for Some Doll"
- I dreamed last night, I got on the boat to heaven, and by some chance I had brought my dice along. And there I stood and I hollered 'Someone fade me', but the passengers, they knew right from wrong. For the people all said: 'sit down, sit down you're rockin' the boat. People all said sit down, sit down you're rockin' the boat. And the devil will drag you under, by the sharp lapel of your checkered coat... Sit down, sit down, sit down,sit down, sit down you're rockin' the boat. - "Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat"
- Lieutenant Brannigan: Well, well, well. Look at this. The jails must be empty tonight. Can anybody be missing? Harry the Horse, Liver Lips Louie, Angie the Ox, Society Max... And here is a face for which I cannot supply a name.
- When you see a guy reach for stars in the sky, you can bet that he's doing it for some doll.. -"Guys and Dolls"
- Sky Masterson, Sarah Brown: I've never been in love before, now all at once it's you, it's you forever more... - "I've Never Been in Love Before"
- General Cartwright: I have rarely been to a meeting at any of our branches that could boast of so many evil-looking sinners.
- Benny South Street: I was always a bad guy. I was even a bad gambler. I would like to be a good guy, and a good gambler. I thank you.
- Sky Masterson: When I was a young man about to go out into the world, my father says to me a very valuable thing. He says to me like this... "Son," the old guy says, "I am sorry that I am not able to bank roll you to a very large start, but not having any potatoes which to give you, I am now going to stake you to some very valuable advice. One of these days in your travels, a guy is going to come to you and show you a nice, brand new deck of cards on which (Sky snaps fingers) the seal has not yet been broken. This man is going to offer to bet you that he can make the jack of spades jump out of that deck and squirt cider in your ear. Now son, you do not take this bet, for as sure as you stand there, you are going to wind up with an earful of cider." Now Nathan, I do not suggest that you have been clocking Mindy's cheesecake-
- Nathan Detroit: You don't think that I-
- Sky Masterson: However, if you are really looking for some action, I will bet you the same thousand that you do not know the color of necktie you are currently wearing. (puts hand on top of Nathan's tie) Well?
- Nathan Detroit: ...No bet. (Sky removes his hand) Polka Dots! Only Nathan Detroit could blow a grand on polka dots!