God of War (video game)
God of War is a video game for the Playstation 2 console by SCE Santa Monica Studio. It follows Kratos, a Spartan warrior who pledged himself to Ares over 10 years ago, seeks to avenge his wife and daughter [who Ares tricked him into killing] by killing Ares at the behest of Athena, who promises to forgive his past if successful.
- Kratos: [opening lines] The gods of Olympus have abandoned me. Now there is no hope.
- Narrator: And Kratos cast himself from the highest mountain in all of Greece. After ten years of suffering, ten years of endless nightmares, it would finally come to an end. Death would be his escape from madness. But it had not always been this way. Kratos had once been a champion of the gods...
- Kratos: [Strides out of his ship] Ten years, Athena! I have faithfully served the gods for ten years! When will you relive me of these nightmares?
- Athena: We have one final task of you, Kratos. Your greatest challenge awaits in Athens; where even now, my brother, Ares, lays siege as we speak. Athens is on the verge of destruction. It is the will of Ares that my great city fall. Zeus has forbidden the gods from waging war on each other. That is why it must be you, Kratos. Only a mortal trained by a god has a chance at defeating Ares.
- Kratos: And if I am able to do this, to kill a god, then the visions... they will end?
- Athena: Complete this final task, and the past that consumes you will be forgiven. Have faith, Kratos; the gods do not forget those who come to their aid.
- Narrator: Leaving the rotting carcass of the Hydra behind, Kratos set sail once more. His greatest challenge, and freedom from his growing madness lay before him, in the ancient city, of Athens.
- Ares: [looking up to the sky, holding Pandora's Box from a chain] Zeus!! Do you now see what your son can do?! You cast your favor on Athena, but her city lies in ruins before me! And now, even Pandora's Box is mine! Would you have me use it against Olympus itself?! [turns and surprisingly notices Kratos] Kratos. Returned even from the Underworld. [back to the sky] Is this the best you can do, father?! You send a broken mortal to defeat me?! The God of War?! [while speaking, Kratos uses Zeus' Fury to disconnect Pandora's Box from the chain]
- Narrator: After thousands of years, Pandora's Box was finally opened. The power of the gods unleashed. [Kratos grows to equally match Ares in strength]
- Ares: You are still just a mortal - every bit as weak as the day you begged me to save your life!
- Kratos: I am not the same man you found that day. The monster you created has returned... to kill you.
- Ares: You have no idea what a true monster is, Kratos!! [creates six blade-like protrusions in his back] Your final lesson is at hand.