Italian general, patriot, and republican (1807–1882)
Giuseppe Garibaldi (4 July 1807 – 2 June 1882) was an Italian general, politician and nationalist who played a large role in the history of Italy.
- I offer neither pay, nor quarters, nor provisions; I offer hunger, thirst, forced marches, battles and death. Let him who loves his country in his heart, and not with his lips only, follow me.
- From G. M. Trevelyan, Garibaldi's Defense of the Roman Republic [1907-1911]
- Qui si fa l'Italia o si muore.
- Roma o morte!
- Rome or death!
- Announcement of the expedition to conquer Rome, Palermo Cathedral, 1862. Quoted in Denis Mack Smith, Garibaldi, Arnoldo Mondadori Editore, 1993, p. 152.
- Il giorno in cui i contadini saranno educati nel vero, i tiranni e gli schiavi saranno impossibili sulla terra.
- The day the peasants will be educated in the truth, tyrants and slaves will be impossible on earth.
- Alla Società del Tiro in Ganzo, Caprera, 29 August 1864, in Scritti politici e militari, ricordi e pensieri inediti, p. 356.