Giancarlo Giannini (born August 1, 1942) is an Italian actor, voice actor, director and screenwriter. He received an Academy Award nominee for Best Actor in Seven Beauties and won a Cannes Film Festival Award. He is also a mentor at the Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia.
- Devo al film della Wertmuller "Mimì metallurgico ferito nell'onore" il successo di un personaggio che è piaciuto molto all'estero e con il quale sono stato a lungo identificato con grande piacere.
- I owe to the Wertmüller' film "The Seduction of Mimi" the success of a character who has been liked very much overseas and with whom I have been identified for a long time and with great pleasure.
- From the interview "Ho imparato a fare l'attore spiando i siciliani" by Eleonora Lombardo, la Repubblica.it, (November 6, 2016)
- Pasqualino Settebellezze era un film che non voleva far nessuno, perché parla di un campo di concentramento. È una storia vera. Sono riuscito a convincere Lina [Wertmüller] a farlo e ha avuto quattro candidature all'Oscar.
- Seven Beauties was a film that nobody wanted to make, because it talks about a concentration camp. It is a true story. I managed to convince Lina [Wertmüller] to make it and it has been nominated for four Oscars.
- From the interview by Silvia Bizio "Il cinema è morto? Me lo diceva già Fellini", Rep.repubblica.it, (February 15 2019).
Quotes about Giancarlo Giannini Edit
- I wanted the two [lead] roles, of Mimi and Fiore, to be played by Giancarlo Giannini and Mariangela Melato. Both were already well-respected actors but had not yet played lead roles in movies. At the beginning, the producers were hesitant and had to take a gamble on these two talents. In the end, everyone was convinced of how good they were, and we formed a beautiful team.
- Lina Wertmuller, Italian film writer and director. From the interview "Lina Wertmüller on What Being the First Female Director Nominated for an Oscar Means to Her", by Henry Chu, Variety.