In modern molecular biology and genetics, a genome is the genetic material of an organism. It consists of DNA (or RNA in RNA viruses). The genome includes both the genes (the coding regions), the noncoding DNA and the genetic material of the mitochondria and chloroplasts.
|This biology article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- [A cell’s glycome, however, is] probably many thousands of times more complex than the genome.
- Ajit Varki, director of the Glycobiology Research and Training Center at the University of California, San Diego, U.S.A.
- The Sugars of Life, Awake! magazine, March 22, 2004.
- I would not expect religion to be the right tool for sequencing the human genome and by the same token would not expect science to be the means to approaching the supernatural. But on the really interesting larger questions, such as ‘Why are we here?’ or ‘Why do human beings long for spirituality?,’ I find science unsatisfactory. Many superstitions have come into existence and then faded away. Faith has not, which suggests it has reality.
- Francis Collins, How Did the Universe and Life Originate?, Awake! magazine, June 8, 2002.
- When I discover something about the human genome, I experience a sense of awe at the mystery of life, and say to myself, ‘Wow, only God knew before.’ It is a profoundly beautiful and moving sensation, which helps me appreciate God and makes science even more rewarding for me.
- Francis Collins, Reconciling Science and Religion, Awake! magazine, June 8, 2002.
- As we develop all this information [about the human genome], it will reveal the complexity, the interdependence of all this material. It will point to the origin as the result of an intelligent creator, an intelligent agent.
- Duane T. Gish, biochemist. How Did the Universe and Life Originate?, Awake! magazine, June 8, 2002.
- It’s a parts list... If I gave you the parts list for the Boeing 777 and it had 100,000 parts, I don’t think you could screw it together and you certainly wouldn’t understand why it flew.
- Eric Lander, geneticist. The Quest for a Perfect Society, Awake! magazine, September 22, 2000.