Garfield on the Town
Garfield on the Town is a 1983 animated television special, directed by Phil Roman and based on the Garfield comic strip by Jim Davis. It once again starred Lorenzo Music as the voice of Garfield (who also co-wrote the special with Davis), and also featured the voices of Thom Huge, Gregg Berger and Julie Payne.
The special was first broadcast October 28, 1983 on CBS. It won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Animated Program and has been released on DVD.
- [first lines]
- Garfield: [waking up] Good morning, Morning. Guess I'll get up, wake Jon, exercise... unless, of course, that floor is cold. I hate cold floors. I'm not getting out of bed if that floor is the slightest bit chilly.
- [He places one finger on the floor ever so slightly and cringes]
- Garfield: Yii! It's freezing! Too bad. [sighs] I'm hungry.
- [Garfield and Odie have demolished Jon's house as they chase each other through it]
- Jon Arbuckle: Boys, boys, boys. Just look at this room. What am I going to do with you two? Giving you away at the supermarket comes to mind.
- [Garfield and Odie both look increasingly traumatized by everything that Jon says:]
- Jon Arbuckle: A one-way ticket to the city pound seems like a good idea. Right now, even taxidermy sounds terrific. I work and slave for you, and do I get any thanks for it? No, I don't! What do I get? A demolition derby in my living room!
- [Garfield and Odie nod toward each other]
- Jon Arbuckle: That's it, Garfield. This is not normal for you. You're hyperactive, and that's serious. I think it's time for a trip... to the vet!
- Garfield: [traumatized] No, no! Not the vet!
- Garfield: I'm sorry I let you down, Mom.
- Garfield's Mom: Oh, there's nothing to be sorry about, Garfield. Not all of us are cut out to be mousers.
- Garfield: I'll say.
- Lorenzo Music as Garfield.
- Thom Huge as Jon Arbuckle.
- Gregg Berger as Odie and Alley Cat.
- Sandi Huge as Garfield's Mom.
- Julie Payne as Dr. Liz Wilson.
- C. Lindsay Workman as Garfield's Grandfather. (credited as Lindsay Workman)
- George Wendt as Ràoul.
- Desirée Goyette as Girl Cat #1.
- Allyce Beasley as Girl Cats #2 & #3.