Game of Thrones
American fantasy drama television series
Game of Thrones (2011-19) is an American medieval fantasy television series, created by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss and aired for HBO. It is based on George R. R. Martin's best-selling novel series A Song of Ice and Fire.
About Game of ThronesEdit
- Rape is often presented in television plotlines, where it has far-reaching and lasting consequences for the affected characters. But critics of “Game of Thrones” fear that rape has become so pervasive in the drama that it is almost background noise: a routine and unshocking occurrence.
- Dave Itzkoff, "For ‘Game of Thrones,’ Rising Unease Over Rape’s Recurring Role", New York Times, (May 2, 2014).
- Rape and sexual violence have been a part of every war ever fought, from the ancient Sumerians to our present day. To omit them from a narrative centered on war and power would have been fundamentally false and dishonest and would have undermined one of the themes of the books: that the true horrors of human history derive not from orcs and Dark Lords, but from ourselves.
- George R. R. Martin, qtd. in Dave Itzkoff, "For ‘Game of Thrones,’ Rising Unease Over Rape’s Recurring Role", New York Times, (May 2, 2014).
- For eight seasons, people tuned in to watch spectacular dragons, incredible special effects, political intrigue, and lots of sex and violence. With copious nudity, excessive violence, aggressive displays of masculinity to exert power over others, and a narrative built on devastating blows to beloved characters, rape seems inevitable on the world's most epic television series.
- Alessia S. Guise, "“What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger:” The Fallacy of Rape Narratives as Paths to Women's Empowerment in Contemporary Television", Film Studies Honors Papers, (May 14, 2020).
- Sean Bean – Lord Eddard "Ned" Stark
- Michelle Fairley – Lady Catelyn Stark
- Maisie Williams – Arya Stark
- Kit Harington – Jon Snow
- Lena Headey – Queen Cersei Lannister Baratheon
- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau – Jaime Lannister
- Peter Dinklage – Tyrion Lannister
- Mark Addy – King Robert Baratheon
- Jack Gleeson – Prince Joffrey Baratheon
- Ian Beattie – Ser Meryn Trant
- Emilia Clarke – Daenerys Targaryen
- Trent Harry Lloyd – Viserys Targaryen
- Richard Madden – Robb Stark
- Sophie Turner – Sansa Stark
- Alfie Allen – Theon Greyjoy
- Iain Glen – Ser Jorah Mormont
- Jason Momoa – Khal Drogo
- Finn Jones – Ser Loras Tyrell
- Natalie Dormer – Margaery Tyrell
- Dean-Charles Chapman – Tommen Baratheon
- Pedro Pascal – Oberyn Martell
- Rory McCann – Sandor Clegane
- Aidan Gillen – Petyr Baelish
- Conleth Hill – Varys
- James Cosmo – Jeor Mormont
- Peter Vaughan – Maester Aemon (TV final role)
- Carice van Houten – Melisandre
- Gwendoline Christie – Brienne of Tarth
- Liam Cunningham – Davos Seaworth
- Stephen Dillane – Stannis Baratheon
- Kerry Ingram – Shireen Baratheon
- Gethin Anthony – Renly Baratheon
- Charles Dance – Tywin Lannister
- David Bradley – Walder Frey
- Partick Malahide – Balon Greyjoy
- Ian McElhinney – Ser Barristan Selmy
- Tom Wlaschiha – Jaqen H'ghar/Many-faced God
- Ciarán Hinds – Mance Rayder
- Indira Varma – Ellaria Sand
- Owen Teale – Alliser Thorne
- Mark Gatiss – Tycho Nestoris
- Michiel Huisman – Daario Naharis
- Michael McEllhatton – Roose Bolton
- Iwan Rheon – Ramsay Snow (later legitimized as Ramsay Bolton)
- Rose Leslie – Ygritte
- Jerome Flynn – Bronn