1972 film by Alfred Hitchcock
- Directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Written by Anthony Shaffer, based on the novel Goodbye Piccadilly, Farewell Leicester Square by Arthur La Bern.
A deadly new twist from the original Hitchcock. taglines
- I don't know if you know it, Babs, but you're my type of woman.
- Don't forget, Bob's your uncle.
- If you can fix up a lot of idiots, why not me?
- Do I look like a sex murderer to you? Can you imagine me creeping around London, strangling all those women with ties? That's ridiculous... For a start, I only own two.
Chief Inspector OxfordEdit
- I expect she'll turn up sooner or later. These days, ladies abandon their honor far more readily than their clothes.
- No, discretion is not traditionally the strong suit of the psychopath, dear. Believe me, that's what we're dealing with. You ought to read his wife's divorce petition.
- Mr. Rusk. You're not wearing your tie.
- Just thinking about the lusts of men makes me want to heave. He spoke French, Spanish and German while in service.
- Richard Blaney: [announcing himself to his wife's receptionist] You can inform Mrs. Blaney that one of her less successful exercises in matrimony has come to see her.
- Monica Barling: And who shall I say is calling?
- Richard Blaney: Mr. Blaney.
- Solicitor in Pub: We were just talking about the tie murderer, Maisie. You'd better watch out.
- Maisie, Barmaid: [salaciously] He rapes them first, doesn't he?
- Solicitor in Pub: Yes, I believe he does.
- Doctor in Pub: Well I suppose it's nice to know that every cloud has a silver lining.
- Solicitor in Pub: Let's hope he slips up soon.
- Doctor in Pub: In one way I rather hope he doesn't. We haven't had a good juicy series of sex murders since Christie. And they're so good for the tourist trade. Foreigners somehow expect the squares of London to be fog-wreathed, full of hansom cabs and littered with ripped whores, don't you think?
- Inspector Oxford: Mr. Rusk. You're not wearing your tie.
- Bob Rusk: [speechless] I... [Defeated, Rusk drops the trunk to the floor]
- A deadly new twist from the original Hitchcock.
- Just an ordinary necktie used with a deadly new twist.
- From the Master of Shock... A Shocking Masterpiece!
- Jon Finch - Richard Blaney
- Barry Foster - Robert Rusk
- Barbara Leigh-Hunt - Brenda Blaney
- Anna Massey - Babs Milligan
- Alec McCowen - Chief Inspector Oxford
- Vivien Merchant - Mrs. Oxford
- Billie Whitelaw - Hetty Porter
- Clive Swift - Johnny Porter
- Bernard Cribbins - Felix Forsythe
- Michael Bates - Sergeant Spearman
- Jean Marsh - Monica Barling