- This world is bullshit. And you shouldn't model your life — wait a second — you shouldn't model your life about what you think that we think is cool and what we're wearing and what we're saying and everything. Go with yourself. Go with yourself.
- Acceptance speech, 1997 MTV Video Music Awards
- It was because of this guy I had gone out with and had been really, really close with. I really loved him. I felt that he was my best friend. But he was a teenaged guy, and they don't think a lot of times. He mistreated me and then he came back. I couldn't even be friends with him for awhile. I cared about him, but it was just a situation where he kept trying to be friends with me, but I knew that he just wanted to be friends with me so he could have the option of making a move on me whenever he wanted to. And because I was so infatuated with him, and even in love with him, I was always available for that. It made me feel weak every time I would fall for that. And I would look forward to him making a move on me, but I knew that it was wrong. I knew that he was playing with me. And after awhile, I didn't even care anymore because I wanted him so much.
- On Shadowboxer from Tidal,
- from Nuvo, "Fiona Apple: The NUVO Interview" April 
Interviewer: I read a post on the Internet from a young girl who had been victimized by someone and her position was like, "I can talk about this now because Fiona Apple can talk about what happened to her." Do you look at yourself as a role model for women and girls who've had this experience?
Fiona: That's the only reason I ever brought the whole rape thing up. It's a terrible thing, but it happens to so many people. I mean, 80 percent of the people I've told have said right back to me, "That happened to me too." It's so common, and so ridiculous that it's a hard thing to talk about. It angers me so much because something like that happens to you and you carry it around for the rest of your life. No matter how much therapy you go through, no matter how much healing you go through, it's part of you. I just feel that it's such a tragedy that so many people have to bear the extra burden of having to keep it secret from everyone else. As if it's too icky a subject to burden other people with and everyone's going to think you're a victim forever. Then you've labeled yourself a victim, and you've been taken advantage of, and you're ruined, and you're soiled, and you're not pure, you know.
If I'm in a position where people are looking up to me in any way, then it's absolutely my responsibility to be open and honest about this, because if I'm not, what does that say to people? It doesn't change a person -- well, it does change a person but it doesn't take anything away from you. It can only strengthen you. It has made me so angry in the past. Like I wanted to say it to somebody. I really wanted somebody to connect with, somebody to understand me, somebody to comfort me. But I felt like I couldn't say anything about because it was taboo to talk about.
- Nuvo, "Fiona Apple: The NUVO Interview" April 
- I definitely had an eating disorder. What was really frustrating for me was that everyone thought I was anorexic, and I wasn't. I was really depressed and self-loathing. For me, it wasn't about being thin, it was about getting rid of the bait attached to my body. A lot of it came from the self-loathing that came from being raped at the point of developing my voluptuousness. I just thought that if you had a body and if you had anything on you that would be grabbed, it would be grabbed. So I did purposely get rid of it...I mean, my plan is to gain enough weight that I can really be considered voluptuous, and do my 'First Taste' video. And I am preparing myself for what is going to happen. Because soon they will be saying that I'm fat. And it will hurt me.
- Rolling Stone, "The Caged Bird Sings" January 
- My problem was that I felt ashamed of feeling sad or angry. Now, I don't hide my vulnerability in my lyrics. There's no way I was going to get raped and not get something out of it. I learned about power and hope and forgiveness. I like who I am now and I wouldn't be who I am if that hadn't happened.
- ELLE, "Fiona Apple is NOT the next Alanis, thank you" October 
- I don't have a big thing about leaving my mark or being historic.
- Dr Drew interview (November 1999)
- Don't waste your crazy!
- Forever Fiona, interview by Liza Ghorbani (June 7, 2012)
- I got my feet on the ground and I don't go to sleep to dream;
You've got your head in the clouds and you're not at all what you seem.
This mind, this body and this voice cannot be stifled by your deviant ways.
So don't forget what I told you, don't come around, I got my own hell to raise.
- Sleep to Dream
Once my lover, now my friend;
What a cruel thing to pretend.
What a cunning way to condescend;
Once my lover, and now my friend.
Oh, you creep up like the clouds
And you set my soul at ease.
Then you let your love abound,
And you bring me to my knees.
Oh, it's evil babe
The way you let your grace enrapture me,
When well you know I'd be insane
To ever let that dirty game recapture me.
You made me a shadowboxer, baby.
I wanna be ready for what you do.
I been swinging all around me
'Cause I don't know when you're gonna make your move.
I've been a bad, bad girl.
I've been careless with a delicate man.
And it's a sad, sad world
When a girl will break a boy just because she can.
Don't you tell me to deny it.
I've done wrong and I want to suffer for my sins.
I've come to you 'cause I need guidance to be true,
And I just don't know where I can begin.
- What I need is a good defense
'Cause I'm feeling like a criminal
And I need to be redeemed
To the one I've sinned against
Because he's all I ever knew of love.
When the Pawn… (1999)Edit
- When the pawn hits the conflicts he thinks like a king
What he knows throws the blows when he goes to the fight
And he’ll win the whole thing ‘fore he enters the ring
There’s no body to batter when your mind is your might
So when you go solo you hold your own hand
And remember that depth is the greatest of heights
And if you know where you stand then you know where to land
And if you fall it won’t matter cuz you’ll know that you’re right.
- When the Pawn
- My derring-do allows me to
Dance the rigadoon around you.
But by the time I'm close to you,
I lose my desideratum and now you.
- To Your Love
- Hunger hurts, and I want him so bad, oh it kills.
'Cause I know I'm a mess he don't wanna clean up.
I got to fold 'cause these hands are too shaky to hold.
Hunger hurts, but starving works, when it costs too much to love.
- Paper Bag
- Do I wanna do right, of course
but do I really wanna feel I’m forced
to answer you, hell no.
I’ve acquired quite a taste for a well-made mistake,
I wanna make a mistake.
- A Mistake
I may be soft in your palm,
But I'll soon grow hungry for a fight, and I will not let you win.
My pretty mouth will frame the phrases that will disprove your faith in man.
So if you catch me trying to find my way into your heart from under your skin,
Fast as you can, baby
Scratch me out, free yourself.
- So keep on calling me names, keep on, keep on.
And I'll keep kicking the crap till it's gone.
If you keep on killing, you could get me to settle.
And as soon as I settle, I bet I'll be able to move on.
- The Way Things Are
And I will pretend
That I don't know of your sins
Until you are ready to confess.
But all the time, all the time,
I'll know, I'll know.
And you can use my skin
To bury secrets in,
And I will settle you down.
- I Know
Extraordinary Machine (2005)Edit
- I certainly haven't been shopping for any new shoes,
I certainly haven't been spreading myself around.
I still only travel by foot, and by foot it's a slow climb.
But I'm good at being uncomfortable, so
I can't stop changing all the time.
- Extraordinary Machine
- One man, he disappoint me;
He give me the gouge and he take my glee.
Now every other man I see
Remind me of the one man who disappoint me.
- Everything good, I deem too good to be true;
Everything else is just a bore.
Everything I have to look forward to
Has a pretty painful and very imposing before.
- I opened my eyes
While you were kissing me once more than once,
And you looked as sincere as a dog.
Just as sincere as a dog does,
When it's the food on your lips with which it's in love.
The early cars
Drawing deep breaths past my door.
And last night's phrases,
Sick with lack of basis,
Are still writhing on my floor.
And it doesn't seem fair
That your wicked words should work
In holding me down.
No, it doesn't seem right
To take information
Given at close range
For the gag
And the bind
And the ammunition round.
- Conversation once colored by esteem
Became dialogue as a diagram of a play for blood.
Took a vacation, my palate got clean.
Now I could taste your agenda
While you're spitting your cud.
- Not About Love
- If you don't have a date
Go out and sit on the lawn
And do nothing
'Cause it's just what you must do
Nobody does it anymore.
- Waltz (Better Than Fine)
About Fiona AppleEdit
- Well, you ain't Fiona Apple. And if you ain't Fiona Apple, I don't give a rat's ass.