1987 American film directed by Adrian Lyne
A look that led to an evening. A mistake he'll regret...FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE. (taglines)
- [to Jimmy] She keeps calling the apartment. Every time Beth answers the phone, she hangs up. I'm scared Jimmy, and I don't want to lose my family.
- [to Dan] We were attracted to each other at the party, that was obvious! You're on your own for the night, that's also obvious... we're two adults.
- [to Dan] Well, what am I supposed to do? You won't answer my calls, you change your number. I mean, I'm not gonna be ignored, Dan!
- [from her tape, which Dan is listening to] Hello, Dan. Are you surprised? This is what you force me to do. I guess you thought you'd get away with it. Well... you can't. 'Cause part of you is growing inside of me, and that's a fact, Dan. You'd better start... Learning how to deal with it. Just so you know... I feel you. I taste you. I think you. I touch you. Can you understand? Can you? I'm just... asking you... to acknowledge your responsibilities. I... Is that so bad? I-I don't think so. I don't think it's unreasonable. And... you know, another thing... And it's that you thought you could just walk into my life, and turn it upside down, without a thought for anyone but yourself. You know what you are, Dan? You are a cock-sucking son of a bitch. I hate you. I bet you don't even like real girls, do you? Ha! You disappoint me, you fucking faggot!
- [to Beth] And don't you think I understand what you're doing? You're trying to move him into the country... and you're keeping him away from me. And you're playing happy family. Aren't you? [begins to slice her own leg with a butcher knife] You wouldn't understand that because you're so... so selfish. He told me about you. He told me about you. He was very honest. If you weren't so stupid, you'd know that. But you're so stupid. You're so stupid... you're a stupid, selfish bitch!
- [on the phone to Alex] If you ever come near my family again, I'll kill you. Do you understand?
- Alex Forrest: You must have to be discreet.
- Dan Gallagher: Oh, god yeah.
- Alex Forrest: Are you?
- Dan Gallagher: Am I what?
- Alex Forrest: Discreet?
- Dan Gallagher: Yes, I'm discreet.
- Alex Forrest: Me, too.
- Alex Forrest: You're here with a strange girl being a naughty boy.
- Dan Gallagher: I don't think having dinner with anybody's a crime.
- Alex Forrest: I had a wonderful time last night. I'd like to see you again. Is that so terrible?
- Dan Gallagher: No. I just don't think it's possible.
- Dan Gallagher: Look, Alex... I like you. And maybe if I wasn't with somebody else, I'd be with you. But I am.
- Alex Forrest: Please don't justify yourself, it's pathetic. You'd tell me to fuck off, I'd have more respect for you.
- Dan Gallagher: All right, then fuck off.
- Doctor: [after Alex's suicide attempt] Whatever resentment she's feeling, she probably got it out of her system.
- Dan Gallagher: What if she didn't get it out of her system? What then?
- Dan Gallagher: You're so sad. You know that, Alex? Lonely and very sad.
- Alex Forrest: Don't you ever pity me, you smug bastard.
- Dan Gallagher: I'll pity you... I'll pity you. I'll pity you because you're sick.
- Alex Forrest: Why? Because I won't allow you treat me like some slut you can just bang a couple of times and throw in the garbage?
- Telephone Operator: Operator. May I help you?
- Alex Forrest: Operator, I've been trying to get 555-8129. 212? The recording says its been disconnected.
- Telephone Operator: Just a moment please. [pause] I'm sorry, the number's been changed to an unlisted number.
- Alex Forrest: Operator, this is a real emergency please. You need to give me that number.
- Telephone Operator: I'm sorry. We're not allowed to give out that information.
- Alex Forrest: Well fuck you!
- Telephone Operator: My place or yours?
- [Alex slams phone down]
- Dan Gallagher: Why are you trying to hurt me?
- Alex Forrest: I'm not trying to hurt you Dan, I love you!
- Dan Gallagher: You what?
- Alex Forrest: I love you!
- Dan Gallagher: You don't even know me
- Alex Forrest: How can you say that?
- A look that led to an evening. A mistake he'll regret...FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE.
- On the other side of drinks, dinner and a one night stand, lies a terrifying love story.
- Michael Douglas - Dan Gallagher
- Glenn Close - Alexandra "Alex" Forrest
- Anne Archer - Beth Rogerson Gallagher
- Ellen Hamilton Latzen - Ellen Gallagher
- Stuart Pankin - Jimmy
- Ellen Foley - Hildy
- Fred Gwynne - Arthur
- Meg Mundy - Joan Rogerson, Beth's mother
- Tom Brennan - Howard Rogerson, Beth's father
- Lois Smith - Martha, Dan's secretary
- Mike Nussbaum - Bob Drimmer
- J. J. Johnston - O'Rourke
- Michael Arkin - Lieutenant
- Jane Krakowski - Christine, the babysitter