Everest (2015 film)
2015 film directed by Baltasar Kormákur
Everest is a 2015 film about a climbing expedition on Mt. Everest that is devastated by a severe snow storm. It is based on the real events of the 1996 Mount Everest disaster, and focuses on the survival attempts of two expedition groups.
- Directed by Baltasar Kormákur. Written by William Nicholson and Simon Beaufoy, based on the book Left For Dead: My Journey Home from Everest by Beck Weathers.
Never let go.
- Title Card: Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay became the first climbers to summit Everest. Over the next 40 years, only top professional climbers attempted the same feat. One in four died.
- 1992: New Zealander Rob Hall pioneered the concept of commercial guiding on Everest for amateur climbers. Over the next four years his team, Adventure Consultants, successfully led 19 clients to summit without a single fatality.
- 1996: Other commercial operators follow Rob Hall's lead, including Scott Fischer's Mountain Madness. More than 20 expeditions compete to summit Everest in the same two week window.
- Can you just listen up? Guys? We got 2,000 feet, 600 vertical meters to Camp Four. It's roped all the way, so I know you can make it. Now, once we get to the yellow band we're gonna regroup, put on the masks, turn on the gas. Make sense?
- You my friends are following in the very footsteps of history...
- Something beyond the power of words to describe.
- Everest is another beast altogether.
- Human beings simply aren't built to function at the cruising altitude of a 747. Okay, once we get above here, above the South Col, our bodies will be literally dying. And I mean literally dying. It's not called the Death Zone for nothing.
- Head down, one step at a time. That's how it is done.
- Sit down man, acclimatize.
- You know what they say, man. It's not the altitude, it's the attitude.
- Anatoli Boukreev: We don't need competition between people. There is competition between every person and this mountain. The last word always belongs to the mountain.
- Doug Hansen: I'm climbing Mount Everest... because I can... because to be able to climb that high and see that kind of beauty that nobody ever sees, it'd be a crime not to.
- Helen Wilton: That's the cooking tent, and over there is the toilet. It's a little bit drafty, but just remember that when the wind gets up here, you've got the same view that George Everest did.
- Caroline MacKenzie: From a medical standpoint getting you to the top of Everest is really about oxygen. And the lack of it. To give you the best chance of summiting you need to prepare your bodies for the thin air up there.
- [last lines]
- Beck Weathers: Hi, Peachy.
- Peach Weathers: [into his arms] Hey.
- Beck Weathers: Thank you so much, darling.
- Jason Clarke - Rob Hall
- Jake Gyllenhaal - Scott Fischer
- Josh Brolin - Beck Weathers
- John Hawkes - Doug Hansen
- Sam Worthington - Guy Cotter
- Robin Wright - Peach Weathers
- Michael Kelly - Jon Krakauer
- Keira Knightley - Jan Arnold
- Emily Watson - Helen Wilton
- Thomas Wright - Michael Groom
- Martin Henderson - Andy "Harold" Harris
- Elizabeth Debicki - Dr. Caroline Mackenzie
- Naoko Mori - Yasuko Namba
- Clive Standen - Ed Viesturs
- Vanessa Kirby - Sandy Hill
- Tom Goodman-Hill - Neal Beidleman
- Ingvar Eggert Sigurðsson - Anatoli Boukreev
- Charlotte Bøving - Lene Gammelgaard
- Micah Hauptman - David Breashears
- Chris Reilly - Klev Schoening
- Chike Chan - Makalu Gau
- Vijay Lama - Lt. Col. Madan Khatri Chhetri
- Mark Derwin - Lou Kasischke
- Mia Goth - Meg Weathers