English actor and director
|This Actor article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- If you understand comedy, you understand life. Drama, death, tragedy – everybody has these. But with humour you've got all these, and the antidote. You have found the answer. It doesn't follow that because you are a good comedy writer, you're a happy fellow. I've got one of the most miserable faces in the world. I am only happy when I am working. If I'm not working, I get screwed up because my time is going, my life is slipping by.
- Quoted in The Guardian, Wednesday 4 July 2012
- My theory is that we are all idiots. The people who don’t think they’re idiots — they’re the ones that are dangerous.
- Quoted in The Daily Telegraph, 4 Jul 2012
- I always say to young people, you can have the best script, be the funniest man, but if they don't laugh — you're not a comedian.
- Quoted in BBC obituary 4 July 2012