Eric Michael Garcetti (February 4, 1971) is an American politician who is the 42nd and current mayor of Los Angeles. From 2001 to 2013, he was a member of the Los Angeles City Council, representing the 13th district. From 2006 to 2012, he served as council president. A member of the Democratic Party, Garcetti was first elected mayor in the 2013 election, defeated fellow Democrat Wendy Greuel. Garcetti was then re-elected in the 2017 election.
|This political figure article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Los Angeles has one of the best home recycling programs. Now, we are going to expand that to businesses and apartments where we can recycle 70 percent of our trash instead of putting it in landfills...Nothing upsets me more than to hear people say they want to recycle but are unable to.
- quoted by Rick Orlov of the Los Angeles Daily News (April 15, 2014)
- We want L.A. to be the leading destination for people starting new businesses, and there are no better guides for our efforts than successful entrepreneurs themselves.
- quoted by Rick Orlov of the Los Angeles Daily News (May 2, 2014)
Los Angeles Kings Stanley Cup celebrationEdit
- There are two rules in politics. They say never ever be pictured with a drink in your hand, and never swear. But this is a big fucking day. Way to go, guys.
- quoted by Josh Feldmen of Mediaite (June 16, 2014)
- [In response to using profanity] We didn’t win lawn bowling, we won at hockey...Kids out there, do not say what your mayor said today.
- quoted by Lida de Moraes of Deadline Hollywood (June 16, 2014)
- [In response to using profanity] I think I was just being myself for a moment there...Look, I think people should be kind of light about this. It's something that plenty of people have heard in their lives for sure.
- quoted by Michael Finnegan of the Los Angeles Times (July 17, 2014)
- quoted by Peter Jamison of the Los Angeles Times (July 28, 2016)
- I'm just your average Mexican-American Jewish Italian.
- [On Donald Trump] America doesn't need a political pyromaniac for president. His voice is loud, his language is coarse, and his politics has a darkness that would not only stop but reverse the march of progress.
- If we can do it in L.A., I want to say, we can do it across this country. In many ways, the West Coast is leading, and hopefully inspiring the nation to do the same.
- quoted by KCAL-TV (November 15, 2016)
- We believe our campaign isn’t just about the Games in our city in 2024. We believe this bid is about ensuring that the Games are sustainable and relevant in every year beyond 2024 as well. This bid isn’t only about L.A.’s future — it’s about our collective future. We are planning a great Games in Los Angeles — make no mistake — but we’re also laying the ground work along with you for future Games.
- Please don’t doubt us. America’s diversity is our greatest strength. Diversity is not easy. Diversity is a leap of faith that embraces all faiths. And that’s why I believe L.A. is a perfect choice for the 2024 Games, because the face of our city reflects the face of the Olympic Movement itself.
- [On the Yes California secession movement] I love this country too much to even consider an exit. I want to be a part of an America that continues to stand up for all of us, not bail on all our friends across the country.
- quoted by Chelsea Edwards of KABC-TV (February 13, 2017)
- It's extraordinary to see these graduates who come from all 50 states. They come from over 50 countries and they're here in Manchester today. It's the face of the world as it looks. The face of the nation as it is today.