Entity is a word which refers to something which has actual, apparent, ideal, or explicitly imaginary existence within Reality. Entities which are or seem real or apparent in some sense, or by some definitions, can seem otherwise in others. Various means of definition are used by conscious entities to reach greater congruence in their conceptions or understandings of entities, or to impose such separation and division as often leads to greater divergence of conceptions or understanding.
- Alphabetized by author or source:
- A · B · C · D · E · F · G · H · I · J · K · L · M · N · O · P -Q · R · S · T · U · V · W · X · Y · Z · Anon · External links
- It's been a thrilling journey — I have had to really learn that an orchestra is an entity — it's a creature. I have been calling it the dragon and the conductor is the dragon tamer. And you just have to... ride and don't let go and you will be fine.
- The state is the great fictitious entity by which everyone seeks to live at the expense of everyone else.
- This soul is mysterious entity who is wholly non-existant to many people and whose quest is a chimera to most people, will eventually prove to be the only one who remains when all others pass away.
- If someone wishes to speak in his language about a new kind of entities, he has to introduce a system of new ways of speaking, subject to new rules; we shall call this procedure the construction of a linguistic framework for the new entities in question.
- Rudolf Carnap, in Empiricism, Semantics, and Ontology (1950), Ch. 2. Linguistic frameworks
- To be sure, we have to face at this point an important question; but it is a practical, not a theoretical question; it is the question of whether or not to accept the new linguistic forms. The acceptance cannot be judged as being either true or false because it is not an assertion. It can only be judged as being more or less expedient, fruitful, conducive to the aim for which the language is intended. Judgments of this kind supply the motivation for the decision of accepting or rejecting the kind of entities.
- Rudolf Carnap, in Empiricism, Semantics, and Ontology (1950), Ch. 3. What does acceptance of a kind of entities mean?
- For those who want to develop or use semantical methods, the decisive question is not the alleged ontological question of the existence of abstract entities but rather the question whether the rise of abstract linguistic forms or, in technical terms, the use of variables beyond those for things (or phenomenal data), is expedient and fruitful for the purposes for which semantical analyses are made, viz. the analysis, interpretation, clarification, or construction of languages of communication, especially languages of science.
- Rudolf Carnap, in Empiricism, Semantics, and Ontology (1950), Ch. 5. Conclusion
- As already indicated, this is a karmic condition and there must be measures taken by the entity to change its attitude toward things, conditions, and its fellow man.
So long as mechanical things were applied for physical correction, improvements were seen.
But when the entity becomes so self-satisfied, so self-centered, as to refuse spiritual things, and does not change its attitude; so long as there is hate, malice, injustice, jealousy; so long as there is anything within at variance with patience, long suffering, brotherly love, kindness, gentleness, there cannot be a healing of the condition of this body.
What does the entity want to be healed for? That it may gratify its own physical appetites? That it may add to its own selfishness? Then, if so, it had better remain as it is.
If there is a change in mind and purpose, and if the entity expresses the change in speech and action, and if there is the application of those material things suggested, we will see improvement.
But first there must be the change of heart, of mind, of purpose, of intent.... all of the mechanical appliance that you can muster will not bring about complete recovery unless your purpose and your soul have been baptized with the holy spirit.... will you accept, will you reject? It is up to you.
We are through – unless you make amends.
We are through with this reading. ( Many Mansions, Chapter 8 – Karma and problems of health.
- Edgar Cayce, as quoted in Chapter 8 – Karma and problems of health
- Efforts should never be expended purely for mercenary reasons. Pecuniary gains should come as a result of the entity's using his abilities in the direction of being helpful.
- Edgar Cayce, as quoted in Many Mansions Chapter 20 - A Philosophy of Vocational Choice
- When Marcus Garvey died in 1940, the role of the British Empire was already being challenged by India and the rising expectations of her African colonies. Marcus Garvey's avocation of African redemption and the restoration of the African state's sovereign political entity in world affairs was still a dream without fulfillment.
- For people who have no critical acumen, a state is a mythical entity, for those who think critically it is a rational fiction, created by man in order to facilitate human coexistence.
- The universe is a more spiritual entity than we thought. The real fact is that we are in the midst o a spiritual world which dominates the material.
- Bhgawan Das, in “Treasury Of Spiritual Wisdom A Collection Of 10,000 Powerful Quotations For ...”, p. 445
- Let's give this entity which you call soul another name. Soul has too many incorrect meanings for humans, too many verbal reverberations, too many contrary definitions.
Speak the word soul, and unbelievers will automatically become deaf to what follows. Those who believe in souls will always hear you through the mental constructs that they formed on Earth. Let us call this nonmatter twin the... ah... ka. That is the old Egyptian word for one of the several souls in their religion. Except for the Egyptians this will have no special connotation. And they can adapt to it.
- I always wanted to create this community that would come and tell their own story, shoot it - and watch them. The idea is to not have one entity who creates the work, the project, and another entity who consumes it; the idea is people create their own work, like somebody cultivating his garden.
- True self is non-self, the awareness that the self is made only of non-self elements. There's no separation between self and other, and everything is interconnected. Once you are aware of that you are no longer caught in the idea that you are a separate entity.
- Evolution is a tightly coupled dance, with life and the material environment as partners. From the dance emerges the entity Gaia.
- We must confront this Zionist entity. All ties of all kinds must be severed with this plundering criminal entity, which is supported by America and its weapons, as well as by its own nuclear weapons, the existence of which is well known. It will bring about their own destruction.
- Mohammed Morsi, in The Real Mohamed Morsi
- The fear of death is the fine for accepting the identity of the body as a separate entity in the total functioning.
- Nisargadatta, in “Wisdom for the Soul: Five Millennia of Prescriptions for Spiritual Healing”, p. 187
- Realization of the American Dream. At no time should a local entity take those years of hard work solely to increase their tax revenue.
- Whenever we seek to avoid the responsibility for our own behavior, we do so by attempting to give that responsibility to some other individual or organization or entity. But this means we then give away our power to that entity.
- Just as a concept becomes a unit when integrated with others into a wider concept, so a genus becomes a single unit, a species, when integrated with others into a wider genus. For instance, “table” is a species of the genus “furniture,” which is a species of the genus “household goods,” which is a species of the genus “man-made objects.” “Man” is a species of the genus “animal,” which is a species of the genus “organism,” which is a species of the genus “entity.”
- I believe that there is some spiritual entity that's greater than us. I do not belong to any specific organized religion. I have always believed that, and I believe it even more so now. I believe that someone was listening to me, and someone is giving me an incredibly blessed life.
- Private equity firms aren't necessarily evil by definition. There are many stories of successful turnarounds fueled by private equity, often involving multiple floundering businesses that are rolled into a single entity, eliminating duplicative overhead.
- What I would like to do is to leave behind a sustainable entity of a set of companies that operate in an exemplary manner in terms of ethics, values and continue what our ancestors left behind.
- And when you start using a lot of psychedelics, and particularly a lot of the natural psychedelics, my experience has been that I come in contact with some very old entities. And these entities have been around for a while, at least since humans first started experimenting with these plants.
- And so much of these plant psychedelic entities are at least 4,000 years old. Now, when you experiment - when you work with these plant psychedelics, what I have found is that these entities are actually there. They are aware of you, they are aware that you are a person, and they are able to communicate with you.
- We know from science that nothing in the universe exists as an isolated or independent entity.
- It is impossible to engage in intellectual discourse with National Socialist Philosophy, for if there were such an entity, one would have to try by means of analysis and discussion either to prove its validity or to combat it. In actuality, however, we face a totally different situation. At its very inception this movement depended on the deception and betrayal of one's fellow man; even at that time it was inwardly corrupt and could support itself only by constant lies.
- Prayer is perpetual stillness of the heart, a surrendering to yourself as the aspect of God within you. Prayer is not beseeching an entity outside us for favors, but acknowledging the presence within us...
- A Spiritual Warrior, in Treasury Of Spiritual Wisdom A Collection Of 10,000 Powerful Quotations For ..., p. 374
- The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.