Ellen Stewart (November 7, 1919 – January 13, 2011, place of birth is either Chicago, Illinois or Alexandria, Louisiana), better known as La MaMa, was an American theatre director, producer and Off Off Broadway Pioneer.
- If a script ‘beeps’ to me, I do it...Audiences may hate these plays, but I believe in them. The only way I can explain my ‘beeps’ is that I’m no intellectual, but my instincts tell me automatically when a playwright has something.
- Our mission was and is to develop, nurture, support, produce and present new and original performance work by artists of all nations and cultures.
- Believe it or not, it’s easier for me nowadays to be outside this country than in this country, because when I go outside I’m in hotels with elevators and services of all kinds, and it’s not such a hardship.
Quotes about Ellen Stewart edit
- Eighty percent of what is now considered the American theater originated at La MaMa.
- We're going to do it, baby! We're going to do it, darling!' And within a week later we were doing it.
- Her vision dreams of a world where a multiplicity of perspectives is essential and where art is a means to bring people together. I am grateful to be a part of this artistic community that she nurtured, and this season again I am energized by its tenacity, passion, bravery, and transformative work.
- Mia Yoo, Artistic director of La MaMa, "La MaMa's 2019–2020 Season to Celebrate Centennial of Founder Ellen Stewart"by Olivia Clement (August 14, 2019).
- I can’t imagine La MaMa without her. There may be a place called La MaMa that somebody brings good avant-garde international theater to, but it will not be La MaMa. La MaMa is her.
- Qui celebriamo l'idea di comunità e famiglia artistica… che riunisce diverse generazioni che si incontrano… A Spoleto Ellen ha stabilito, fin da subito, un rapporto immediato con il territorio.
- In Spoleto Ellen established an immediate relationship with the territory and here we celebrate the idea of community and artistic family that brings together several generations.
- Andrea Paciotto, Italian theatre director, professor, and director of CultureHub Europe. Stated on Italian TV channel RAI3 "Chi è di scena 18∕01∕2015 by Moreno Cerquetelli THE QUEEN OF HEARTS"(January 18, 2015).
Ellen Stewart on Encyclopaedia Brittanica