english scientist (astronomer, geophysicist, mathematician, meteorologist, physicist) (*1656 – †1742)
Edmond Halley, FRS (8 November 1656 – 14 January 1742) was an English astronomer, geophysicist, mathematician, meteorologist, and physicist who is best known for computing the orbit of the eponymous Halley's Comet.
- Wherefore, if, according to what we have already said, it should return again about the year 1758, candid posterity will not refuse to acknowledge that this was first discovered by an Englishman.
- As quoted in An Essay towards a History of the principal Comets that have appeared since the Year 1742 (1769), p. 49. Halley's Comet reappeared on December 25, 1758.
- Encyclopedic article on Edmond Halley on Wikipedia
- Works related to Author:Edmond Halley on Wikisource
- Media related to Edmond Halley on Wikimedia Commons