2014 American dark fantasy action horror film directed by Gary Shore
Every Bloodline Has a Beginning
- (in a rage to his people, after they tried to burn him alive) Do you think you are alive because you can fight? You are alive because of what I did to save you!
- Never forget who I am.
- It's not a child's place to save his country.
- (to his son) Run to your mother.
- (to Vlad) Death cannot separate us, for one life is born from the other.
- (opening narration) In the year of our Lord 1442, the Turkish Sultan enslaved 1,000 Transylvanian boys to fill the ranks of his army. These child slaves were beaten without mercy, trained to kill without conscience, to crave the blood of all who defied the Turks. From among these boys, one grew into a warrior so fierce that entire armies would retreat in terror at the mention of his name: Vlad the Impaler, Son of the Dragon. Sickened by his monstrous acts, Vlad came to bury his past with the dead and returned to Transylvania to rule in peace. His subjects called him Prince. I called him Father. But the world would come to know him as... Dracula.
- My father was a great man. A hero, so they say. But sometimes the world doesn't need another hero. Sometimes what it needs is a monster.
- There is always a price for power.
- (to Vlad) Most men reek of fear. In you I smell hope.
- (as moves to follow Vlad and Mina) Let the games begin.
- (to Dracula) For centuries, these moldering walls have been my gallows. For I am bound to this cave, condemned by one who turned me. Oh, and I have waited an eternity for a man of your strength, your gifts, your will. A man worthy of the dark and all its powers. For if I am your salvation, you are mine.
- Sultan's Sentry: (to Vlad) The Sultan is preparing for battle, and requires 1,000 boys for his army...including your son.
- Master Vampire: Why spill blood if not for the pleasure of it?
- Vlad: Because men do not fear swords. They fear monsters. They run from them. By putting one village to the stake, I spared ten more. Sometimes the world no longer needs a hero. Sometimes what it needs... is a monster.
- Master Vampire: And you believe you know what it means to be a monster? Hmm?... You have no idea... but I'm going to show you.
- Master Vampire: I have been waiting an eternity for a man of your strength to arrive. But what kind of man crawls into his own grave in search of hope?
- Vlad: A desperate one.
- Master Vampire: Drink. You will have a taste of my power: the strength of a hundred men, the speed of a falling star, dominion over the night and all its creatures, to see and hear through their senses... even heal grievous wounds.
- Vlad: At what price?
- Master Vampire: Once you drink, your thirst for human blood will be insatiable. But if you can resist for three days, you will return to your mortal state, having sampled my power and, perhaps, saved your people.
- Vlad: And if I feed?
- Master Vampire: The price would be worse than if you'd never stepped in here. For I will be set free, having granted the darkness a worthy offering. You will become its vessel, as I am. A scourge on this earth, destined to destroy everything you hold dear: your lands, your people, even your precious wife and son.
- Vlad: I would die before I harmed them.
- Master Vampire: Indeed you will, I'm afraid. I, however, will at last be free to unleash my wrath against the one who betrayed me. And one day, I will call on you to serve me, my pawn, in an immortal game of revenge.
- Vlad: This is not a game!
- Master Vampire: Ahh, but what better way to endure eternity? For this, little prince, is the ultimate game. Light verses dark, hope verses despair. And all the world's fate hangs in the balance.
- Vlad: Then it will be my great pleasure to disappoint you.
- Master Vampire: Drink. Let the games begin.
- Vlad: Why think separately of this life and the next...
- Mirena: When one is born from the last.
- Mirena: (as Vlad cuts the tent open and his skin burns) What is happening to you? No! Stop it! (as she pulls him into the shadows) May God strike down whoever did this to you!
- Vlad: (pained) I chose this!
- Mirena: This is the strength you sought? But why?
- Vlad: Because I sent corpses back to Mehmed, instead of our son.
- Mirena: (in tears) You did this for us?
- Vlad: In two days, I'll be restored... I just have to resist.
- Mirena: Resist what? (Vlad says nothing) Resist what, Vlad? Tell me!
- Vlad: The thirst... for blood.
- Master Vampire: Do your people know how many innocents you have killed? Was it hundreds?
- Vlad: Yes.
- Master Vampire: (grabs Vlad by the throat) Lie to me again, and I'll open you from your belly to your brain and feed you your intestines.
- Vlad: Thousands!
- Master Vampire: And when you put them to the stake, what did you feel? Shame? Horror? Power? ANSWER ME!!!
- Vlad: Nothing! I felt nothing. A greater crime than the act itself.
- Mehmed: (about the silver surrounding them) Tell me, how long can you bear it in here? Huh?
- Vlad: Long enough to strike your name from the history books.