Dr. No (film)
1962 film by Terence Young
Dr. No is a 1962 film about James Bond's investigation of a missing colleague in Jamaica that leads him to the island of the mysterious Dr. No and a scheme to end the U.S. space program. It was the first film in the James Bond series.
- Directed by Terence Young. Written by Richard Maibaum, Johanna Harwood, and Berkely Mather, based on the novel by Ian Fleming.
His name is Bond; James Bond. (taglines)
- Tell me Miss Trench, do you play any other games?
- [Bond pulls up to the front of Government House with Jones, the henchman posing as a chauffeur, sitting up in the backseat, dead] Sergeant, make sure he doesn't get away.
- Unfortunately I misjudged you, you are just a stupid policeman ... [metal door opens and guards enter] ... whose luck has run out.
- If you carry a double-O number, it means you're licensed to kill, not get killed.
- [James Bond's first scene, winning a game of chemin-de-fer]
- James Bond: I admire your courage, Miss...?
- Sylvia Trench: Trench. Sylvia Trench. I admire your luck, Mister...?
- James Bond: Bond. James Bond.
- Note: the bolded line is ranked #22 in the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema.
- [Bond outruns a hearse full of henchmen (the "Three Blind Mice") through a construction site on a hill, causing the hearse to careen off the road and explode]
- Construction worker: How did it happen?
- James Bond: I think they were on their way to a funeral.
- [Professor Dent arrives at the bedroom of Miss Taro's house. Unaware that Bond is sitting next to the bedroom door, with his gun in his hand, Dent opens it, and sees a collection of pillows stuffed under the bedsheets, to mimic a sleeping Bond. He raises a silenced Smith and Wesson pistol and shoots at the pillows six times. He then walks into the room. As soon as he is inside, Bond closes the door.]
- James Bond: Drop it, professor, hands behind you! [Dent drops his gun and turns round to face Bond, who throws a switch, turning on the bedroom lights] That's funny, I thought you'd turn up sooner or later. Sit down.
- Professor Dent: [sitting down on a low table at the foot of the bed] The girl talked?
- Bond: But of course. I was suspicious at the Queen's Club anyhow when it turned out you were the only one who'd seen Strangways' new secretary.
- [While Bond is talking, Dent pulls the blanket he dropped his gun on towards him with his foot, hoping that Bond doesn't notice. Bond has helped himself to a cigarette.]
- Bond: And then later, at the lab, you made no reference to the fact that Strangways' samples were radioactive.
- Dent: Very clever, Mr Bond. But you're up against more than you know. You shoot me and you'll end up like Strangways. [Bond lights his cigarette.]
- Bond: Then you killed him?
- Dent: He was killed, but never mind how.
- Bond: Who are you working for, Professor?
- Dent: You might as well know as you won't live to use the information. I'm working for... [ draws his gun, only to find that it is empty]
- James Bond: That's a Smith & Wesson, and you've had your six. [shoots Dent twice, killing him. He then unscrews the silencer on his gun, and blows smoke out of it.]
- Dr. No: I'm a member of SPECTRE.
- James Bond: [confused] SPECTRE?
- Dr. No: SPECTRE. SPecial Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge, and Extortion. The four great cornerstones of power headed by the greatest brains in the world.
- James Bond: Correction. Criminal brains!
- Dr. No: The successful criminal brain is always superior. It has to be!
- Dr. No: The Americans are fools. I offered my services, they refused. So did the East. Now they can both pay for their mistake.
- James Bond: World domination, same old dream. In England, our sanitariums are full of men who think they are Napoleon. Or God.
- His name is Bond — James Bond.
- NOW meet the most extraordinary gentleman spy in all fiction! ... JAMES BOND, Agent 007!
- 007 The double "O" means he has a license to kill when he chooses ... where he chooses ... whom he chooses!
- The First James Bond Film Adventure!