Dr. No (film)
1962 film by Terence Young
(Redirected from Dr. No)
Dr. No is a 1962 film about James Bond's investigation of a missing colleague in Jamaica that leads him to the island of the mysterious Dr. No and a scheme to end the U.S. space program. It was the first film in the James Bond series.
- Directed by Terence Young. Written by Richard Maibaum, Johanna Harwood, and Berkely Mather, based on the novel by Ian Fleming.
His name is Bond; James Bond. (taglines)
- Tell me Miss Trench, do you play any other games?
- [Bond pulls up to the front of Government House with a dead man sitting up in the backseat] Sergeant, make sure he doesn't get away.
- [pointing a gun at an assassin] Both hands on the wheel, Mr. Jones, I'm a very nervous passenger.
- That's a Smith & Wesson, and you've had your six.
- [M asks Bond when he sleeps] Never on the firm's time, sir.
- A medium dry martini, lemon peel, shaken, not stirred.
- Unfortunately I misjudged you, you are just a stupid policeman ... [metal door opens and guards enter] ... whose luck has run out.
- If you carry a double-O number, it means you're licensed to kill, not get killed.
- [James Bond's first scene, winning a game of chemin-de-fer]
- James Bond: I admire your courage, Miss...?
- Sylvia Trench: Trench. Sylvia Trench. I admire your luck, Mister...?
- James Bond: Bond. James Bond.
- Note: bolded line is ranked #22 in the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema.
- Sylvia Trench: When did you say you had to leave?
- James Bond: Immediately... almost immediately.
- James Bond: Moneypenny! What gives?
- Miss Moneypenny: Me, given an ounce of encouragement. You've never taken me to dinner looking like this. You've never taken me to dinner ...
- James Bond: I would, you know. Only M would have me court-martialed for ... illegal use of government equipment.
- Miss Moneypenny: Flattery will get you nowhere — but don't stop trying.
- [Bond outruns a hearse full of henchmen through a construction site on a hill, causing the hearse to careen off the road and explode]
- Construction worker: How did it happen?
- James Bond: I think they were on their way to a funeral.
- [After singing "Underneath the Mango Tree"]
- Honey Rider: Who is that?
- James Bond: It's all right. I'm not supposed to be here either. I take it you're not. Are you alone?
- Honey Rider: What are you doing here? Looking for shells?
- James Bond: No. I'm just looking.
- Honey Rider: Stay where you are.
- James Bond: I promise I won't steal your shells.
- Honey Rider: I promise you won't either. [draws her knife] Stay where you are!
- James Bond: I can assure you, my intentions are strictly honourable.
- [Honey Rider sheathes her knife]
- Dr. No: I'm a member of SPECTRE.
- James Bond: SPECTRE?
- Dr. No: SPECTRE. SPecial Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge, and Extortion. The four great cornerstones of power headed by the greatest brains in the world.
- James Bond: Correction. Criminal brains!
- Dr. No: The successful criminal brain is always superior. It has to be!
- Dr. No: The Americans are fools. I offered my services, they refused. So did the East. Now they can both pay for their mistake.
- James Bond: World domination, same old dream. In England our sanitariums are full of men who think they are Napoleon. Or God.
- Honey Ryder: I put a black widow spider underneath his mosquito net ... a female, they're the worst. It took him a whole week to die. [Bond looks shocked] Did I do wrong?
- James Bond: Well, it wouldn't do to make a habit of it.
- His name is Bond — James Bond.
- NOW meet the most extraordinary gentleman spy in all fiction! ... JAMES BOND, Agent 007!
- 007 The double "O" means he has a license to kill when he chooses ... where he chooses ... whom he chooses!
- The First James Bond Film Adventure!