Devyani Khobragade is an Indian Foreign Service officer. While serving as Indian Deputy Consul General in New York, she made international headlines when she was arrested by US law enforcement for making false statements on a visa application for her housekeeper. This led to a major diplomatic standoff between India and the United States (known as the Devyani Khobrade incident).
- While I was going through it, although I must admit that I broke down many times as the indignities of repeated handcuffing, stripping and cavity searches, swabbing, hold up with common criminals and drug addicts were all being imposed upon me despite my incessant assertions of immunity, I got the strength to regain composure and remain dignified thinking that I must represent all of my colleagues and my country with confidence and pride.
- Devyani Khobragade letter to her colleagues: The full text, The Washington Post, 18 December 2014
- You have lost a good friend. It is unfortunate. In return, you got a maid and a drunken driver. They are in, and we are out.
- As Devyani Khobragade exits US to return to India, a culture clash lingers, Times of India, 11 January 2014
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my family, my husband, my little kids. I miss them. What if my children choose to study and work in the US? What if I can never return to the US, which I cannot now. Does it mean we will never be able to live together as a family again?
- Wonder if I will ever reunite with my family, Devyani Khobragade says, Times of India, 12 January 2014