Demolition Man (film)
Demolition Man is a 1993 science fiction action film directed by Marco Brambilla. The film is about a wrongfully convicted police officer who is thawed out from a suspended animation prison to pursue an ultra-violent 20th century villain on the loose in a puritan 21st-century society.
- Directed by Marco Brambilia. Written by Daniel Waters, Robert Reneau, and Peter M. Lenkov.
- When a man like Phoenix has a gun to your head, ten seconds is nine and a half seconds longer than you live.
- You got that right. You see, according to Cocteau's plan... I'm the enemy. Because I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, the freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy who likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder - "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of BBQ ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I wanna run through the streets naked with green Jell-O all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener." You live up top, you live Cocteau's way: what he wants, when he wants, how he wants. Your other choice: come down here... and maybe starve to death.
- [the newly-thawed Simon Phoenix accesses a data portal]
- Morality Box: Gun. Noun. Portable firearm. This device was widely utilized in the urban wars of the 20th century. Commonly referred to as a pistol or piece.
- Simon Phoenix: Look, I don't need a history lesson. Come on, HAL! Where are the goddamn guns?
- Morality Box: You are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.
- Phoenix: What? Fuck you. [Tosses the ticket over his shoulder]
- Morality Box: Your repeated violations of the Verbal Morality Statute have caused me to notify the San Angeles Police Department. Please remain where you are for your reprimand.
- Phoenix: Yeah, right. [Police show up] Fuckers are fast, too. [Morality Box buzzes again and Phoenix mocks it, throwing away the ticket]
- [At the San Angeles Museum's Hall of Violence]
- Museum PDA: The Armory exhibit is now sealed. All museum patrons still occupying the facility should remain calm. Help is imminent.
- [Phoenix shoots the door open with a cannon]
- Simon Phoenix: The museum is no longer sealed, is it? Ha-ha! What can I say? I'm a blast from the past!
- John Spartan: You should've stayed there.
- Phoenix: Hey, wait, that voice sounds familiar. Who is that?! [forces Spartan to take cover]
- Spartan: Bad aim, Blondie!
- Phoenix: Spartan? John Spartan? Aw shit, they let anybody into this century! What the hell you doing here?
- Spartan: Oh, shit...
- Phoenix: So let me get this right: they defrosted you just so you could lasso my piddly ass? Damn, you been had! I've been dreaming about killing you for 40 years.
- Spartan: Well, keep dreaming!
- Simon Phoenix: All right, gentlemen, let's review. The year is 2032 - that's two-zero-three-two, as in the 21st Century - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of robed sissies. All we have to do to run the whole thing, is to kill a man named Raymond, who put it all together. But, there's an extra added bonus. We get to kill the man who put most of us behind the freezer.
- CryoCon: You mean, we get to kill John Spartan?
- Simon Phoenix: Exactly! [CryoCons laugh and cheer] I want you to rob, loot, pillage, I want you to steal! I want you to do all the wonderful things that we used to do before all of this happened! This world will be ours! Let's bring back the good old days! Are you with me?
- Cryocons: YEAH!
- Phoenix: ARE YOU WITH ME?
- Cryocons: YEAH!
- Phoenix: LET'S DO IT!
- Lenina Huxley: I have, in fact, perused some newsreels in the Schwarzenegger Library, and the time that you took that car...
- John Spartan: Hold it. The Schwarzenegger Library?
- Huxley: Yes. The Schwarzenegger Presidential Library. Wasn't he an actor when you...?
- Spartan: Stop! He was President?
- Huxley: Yes! Even though he was not born in this country, his popularity at the time caused the 61st Amendment which states...
- Spartan: I don't wanna know... [incredulously] President...
- [John Spartan and Lenina Huxley enter the Scraps' world, and Spartan checks out a burger joint]
- Lenina Huxley: Just don't ask them where the meat comes from.
- John Spartan: Huxley, what's that supposed to mean?
- Huxley: Do you see any cows around here, detective?
- Spartan: [asks in Spanish as he eats] Que es este carne? (What is this meat?)
- Hamburger Stand Scrap: Esta carne es de rata. (This meat is from rats)
- Spartan: [surprised] Rat? This is a rat burger? [vendor nods] Not bad! Matter of fact this is the best burger I've had in years!
- Hamburger Stand Scrap: Gracias, Señor.
- Spartan: [coughing] Prego. See ya later.
- [Lenina Huxley and John Spartan try a virtual sex device over his objections, but he's had enough]
- Lenina Huxley: You broke contact.
- John Spartan: "Contact?" I didn't even touch you yet.
- Huxley: You said you wanted to make love.
- Spartan: Is that what this is?
- Huxley: Vir-sex produces high alpha waves during transference of sexual energies.
- Spartan: Let's do it the old-fashioned way.
- Huxley: [cringes] Disgusting! You mean... fluid transfer?
- Spartan: No, I mean boning, the wild mambo.
- Huxley: That is no longer done. Do you know what the exchange of bodily fluids leads to? Kids, smoking, desire to raid the fridge. Rampant exchange of bodily fluids was a major cause of society's downfall. After AlDS, there was NRS, then there was UBT. One of the first things Cocteau did was to outlaw and engineer all fluid transfer out of socially acceptable behavior. Not even a mouth transfer's condoned.
- Spartan: Kissing's not allowed? I was a good kisser.
- John Spartan: Is it cold in here, or is it just me?
- Simon Phoenix: Good memory.
- [Cocteau's facility has been destroyed]
- Chief George Earle: What will we do? How will we live?
- Edgar Friendly: I tell you what we're gonna' do... we're gonna' go out drinking, get shit-faced and paint the town literally; put up graffiti, slogans... it'll be a blast!
- John Spartan: Whoa! I'll tell you what you're gonna' do: [turns to Earle] Why don't you get a little dirty... [turns to Scraps] ...and you, a lot clean. And somewhere in the middle... I don't know, you'll figure it out.
- Alfredo Garcia: Fuckin' A!
- Spartan: Well put.
- The future isn't big enough for the both of them.
- Sylvester Stallone - Sgt. John Spartan, LAPD
- Sandra Bullock - Lt. Lenina Huxley, SAPD
- Wesley Snipes - Simon Phoenix
- Nigel Hawthorne - Raymond Cocteau
- Denis Leary - Edgar Friendly