1963 film by Francis Ford Coppola
- Directed and written by Francis Ford Coppola.
Are You Afraid of Death by Drowning?... Have You Ever Attempted Suicide?... Have you Ever Thought of Committing Murder? (taglines)
Richard Haloran Edit
- Mother, I don't care what tragedy hangs over this family. I want to get married. I'm engaged to be married. I'm going to get married.
Louise Haloran Edit
- Castle Haloran is a bit perplexing, a very strange place really, old and musty, the kind of place you'd expect a ghost to like to wander around in.
- The typewriter. He wouldn't forget that. He'd have to write letters on the plane. I wonder if he'll rot under water?
Justin Caleb Edit
- You know, the one thing in the world that really chills my bones to the marrow is when a pretty girl in a wedding dress looks at me and finds me repulsive.
- Drink's the only road to survival in this climate. Despite your useless American education, you're still Irish, you know. Drink up.
- I've known this family for a very long time. I've been aware of the atmosphere of depression and the slightly demented quality that hangs over it.
- I've discovered things in this house that make me uneasy.
- These nursery rhymes are notoriously expressive.
- Billy Haloran: [singing] Fishy, Fishy, In the brook, Daddy caught you, On a hook...
- Kane: Sometimes I get the feeling you think I'm some sort of a Christmas Tree decoration. Hang me up and look at me on all happy days and tie me up and put me in a box when it gets gloomy.
- Simon: Forgive me, Miss. The last thing in the world old Simon would want to do is to frighten a fresh, young beauty - like yourself.
- Simon: Don't turn me over to the bulls.
- Louise Haloran: It's nice to see her enjoying herself for a change. The mood around this place isn't good for her.
- Richard Haloran: Well, she may be right.
- Louise Haloran: Especially an American girl. You can tell she's been raised on promises.
- Richard Haloran: You're an intelligent woman, Louise. You notice things, size people up. You know when they're happy and know when something's bothering them. I want you to do me a little favour.
- Louise Haloran: Of course.
- Richard Haloran: Keep that microscope you've got built into your eye off of me!
- Billy Haloran: So, poaching again, are you Simon? Well, let me tell you, you just about scared the wits out of poor Miss Kane, here. Shame on you Simon. Shame on you.
- Simon: It was only old bushy-tail I'm after.
- Kane: What happened?
- Lady Haloran: One of the flowers died when it touched her grave.
- Justin Caleb: Consider your mind as a bird in your hand. When its relaxed, it lies quiet and easy. But, when it's tense, frightened, it strains to leave you. Quite a simple principle, isn't it?
- Lady Haloran: You're engaged to treat my body, not my mind.
- Are You Afraid of Death by Drowning?... Have You Ever Attempted Suicide?... Have you Ever Thought of Committing Murder?
- You Must Pass the "D-13" Test To Prepare You for the Horrifying Experience of Dementia 13. If You Fail the Test...You Will Be Asked to Leave the Theater!
- William Campbell — Richard Haloran
- Luana Anders — Louise Haloran
- Patrick Magee — Dr. Justin Caleb
- Bart Patton — Billy Haloran
- Mary Mitchell — Kane
- Eithne Dunne — Lady Haloran
- Peter Read — John Haloran
- Karl Schnazer — Simon, the poacher
- Ron Perry — Arthur
- Derry O'Donovan — Lillian, the maid
- Barbara Dowling — Kathleen Haloran