1988-1989 Film cycle directed by Krzysztof Kieślowski
Dekalog, also known as Dekalog: The Ten Commandments and The Decalogue is a 1989 Polish television drama series directed by Krzysztof Kieślowski and co-written by Kieślowski with Krzysztof Piesiewicz.
- I am the Lord thy God... thou shalt not have other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image... Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them.
- Paweł: Why do people die?
- Krzysztof: It depends — Heart failure, cancer, accidents, or just old age.
- Paweł: I mean, what is death?
- Krzysztof: Death? The heart ceases to pump blood, blood fails to reach the brain — everything stops., stops dead — and that's it.
- Paweł: What remains?
- Krzysztof: Everything you did. The memory of what you did, of you as a person. Memory's quite important, I guess. You remember there was somebody who walked with a funny leap, or who was a kind man. You remember his face, his smile, the gap in his front teeth.
- Paweł: It says here, a requiem mass: "may her soul rest in peace." You never said anything about the soul.
- Krzysztof: It's just a way to bid farewell. There isn't any soul.
- Paweł: Aunt Irena says there is …
- Krzysztof: Some people just find life easier if they believe in it.
- Paweł: What about you?
- Krzysztof: Me? I really don't know. What are you thinking about?
- Paweł: It's nothing. It's just — I was so glad in the morning when I managed to get that calculation right, and then the pigeon came for the bread crumbs; but I went shopping and saw a dead dog. I knelt over him, and I said to myself, what good is it? Who needs the information how long it will take Miss Piggy to catch up with Kermit? It doesn't make any sense.
- Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
- Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
- Honor thy father and thy mother.
- Thou shalt not kill. This episode was also expanded into the film: A Short Film About Killing
- Thou shalt not commit adultery. This was also expanded into A Short Film About Love.
- Thou shalt not steal.
- Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife.
- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods.
- Artur [singing in City Death concert]: You shall murder!
You shall covet everything all week long
And on Sundays
You shall beat your father and mother,
your sister and your juniors
You shall steal
Because everything around you is yours
Everything is yours!
- Eulogist: He sacrificed everything: passion, his family, his career, perhaps even his emotions. Taking leave of our late friend today, the winner of eleven international gold medals and participant of many exhibitions I would like to offer my condolences to his family. I bow down before this grave. Farewell, my friend.
- Artur [singing in City Death concert]: Darkness, darkness and jeer
Jeer and lies
Lies all week long,
All week long
You're the only hope
The only glimmer
You are everything
Because everything is