Death Becomes Her
1992 film by Robert Zemeckis
Death Becomes Her is a 1992 fantasy comedy film starring Goldie Hawn, Meryl Streep and Bruce Willis. The film focuses on a childish pair of rivals who drink a magic potion that promises eternal youth.
In one small bottle... The fountain of youth. The secret of eternal life. The power of an ancient potion. Sometimes it works... sometimes it doesn't.
- Wrinkled, wrinkled little star, hope they never see the scars.
- You're dressed. Special occasion?
- Ernest is dead? Everybody's dead!
- Oh, for Christ's sake. At least lie quickly!
- (after seeing herself transformed from drinking the potion) I'm a girl!
- Ernest, my ass...I can see... my ass!
- Ernest, I'm in the morgue.
- Ain't nobody can play dead like me, Ernest.
- Ernest! You pushed me down the stairs.
- And she even paid for the hardware. Don't you just love it?
- (whilst peering through a gaping hole in Helen) You're a fraud, Helen. A walking lie and I can see right through you.
- She was a homewrecker, she was a man eater, and she was a bad actress.
- (while confronting Madeline Ashton) Listen, that was a long time ago, you didn't steal him, he went to you. It wasn't you, it was him. I just want you to know something that I have never ever blamed you, never.
- (while confronting Ernest Menville) No Ernest, she has wasted you, she married an brilliant surgeon and turned him into a undertaker. I want you to know something, I have never blamed you for leaving me. I always knew it was her. She is a woman Ernest, a woman, from Newark, for God's sake. I will never forgive her for what she has done to you. Never.
- Divorce? In California? That is exactly what she wants you to do. You have no talent for poverty.
- En garde, BITCH!
- (Last lines. Helen and Madeleine shatter into pieces after falling down stairs) Do you remember where you parked the car?
Lisle Von RhomanEdit
- Make some room for my friend, for Christ's sake. But... keep your ass handy.
- This is life's ultimate cruelty. It offers us a taste of youth and vitality, and then it makes us witness our own decay.
- Anna: How about a nice colagen buff instead?
- Madeline: A colagen buff? You might as well ask me to wash with soap and water!
- Anna: I could do your make-up myself
- Madeline: Make-up is pointless! It does nothing anymore. Are you even listening to me? Do you even care? You just stand there with your twenty-two year old skin and your tits like rocks and laugh at me.
- Helen: Oh, ok. If she's not dead you tell her to come down, you tell her to come down here and kiss me on the...
- Madeline: Kiss you on the what?
- Helen: Mad?
- Madeline: Hel...What have you two been plotting down here? Or should I say what else?
- Psychiatrist: Is this where we are Helen? Six months of therapy, you are not even one pound lighter, and we are still talking about Madeline Ashton.
- Helen: Do you think I enjoy talking about Madeline Ashton
- Psychiatrist: Do you think I enjoy it? Is that what you think? Well you'd better think again. [sighs] Oh, Helen! For you to have a life — for any of us to have a life — You have got to forget about her. You have to erase her from your mind. You have to completely eliminate every...
- Helen: What...?
- Psychiatrist: You have to completely eliminate...
- Helen: You're right. you are absolutely right.
- Ernest: [after the sample of potion restores his hand] Oh my god...
- Lisle: [blushes] Thank you.
- Lisle: Go on... Drink it... It is the completion of your life's work. You gave other people youth and wasted your own! Drink. And you will be able to work again forever! Drink... drink, Dr. Menville. You owe yourself another chance! Drink! It's the right choice! The only choice! Drink! SEMPRE VIVE! LIVE FOREVER!
- Ernest: Then what?
- Lisle: What?
- Ernest: Then what happens?
- Lisle: What?
- Ernest: I don't want to live forever. I mean, it sounds good, but what am I gonna do? What if I get bored?
- Lisle: What?
- Ernest: And what if I get lonely? Who am I gonna hang around with, Madeleine and Helen?
- Lisle: But you'll never grow old!
- Ernest: Yes, but everybody else will! I'll have to watch everyone around me die. I don't think this is right. This is not a dream. This is a nightmare!
- Some people will go to any lengths to stay young forever. But Madeline Ashton and her old friend Helen Sharp are about to go TOO far.