British politician (born 1969)
Dawn Petula Butler (born 3 November 1969) is a British Labour Party politician who has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Brent Central and has served as Minister for Young Citizens and Youth Engagement in the Cabinet Office.
- We must finally see an end to cruel and inhumane conversion therapies, which have been allowed to spread fear and hatred in our society for far too long.
- As quoted in Gay conversion therapy should be made illegal in LGBT action plan, Labour tells Theresa May (2 July 2018) by Ashley Cowburn, The Independent.
Maiden speech on 24 May 2005Edit
- I believe that Brent, South is a shining example of integration at its best. Brent, South deserves a chance to prosper, a chance to benefit from opportunities and a chance for my constituents to live independently.
- I am proud to represent the Labour party, which established the minimum wage, which some Opposition parties could not find time to support.
- I am proud to represent the Labour party, which has pledged to end the equal pay gap. My constituency has more women living in it than men—52 per cent.—and equal pay has a direct effect on economic stability and business prosperity, and a direct correlation with child poverty. If we are serious about tackling those issues, the gap must be closed, and soon. I am confident that I will be working hard with my Government to ensure that that will be achieved.
- This is modern, progressive politics reflecting our society.
- I am proud to be a GMB member and a former officer. I strive to ensure that my contributions continue to aid the historic constructive working relations between the Labour party and the trade union movement. The Warwick agreement, which was referred to in our manifesto, is another historic agreement which only the Labour party could achieve.
- I promised the youth that they would have a voice through me. We must encourage our youth, listen to them and help them to resolve youth issues. After all, they are our future. Guess what—not all youth are yobs, and not all yobs are youth. Furthermore, youths are victims of antisocial behaviour, more than any other group in our society. I will campaign and lobby extremely hard for my constituents in Brent, South to further their concerns and to put forward the case for social justice in Brent, South, the UK and worldwide.
- Dawn Butler official Website
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom.
- Guardian: Ask Aristotle – How they voted: Dawn Butler MP
- Appearances on C-SPAN