Daniel John Hannan (born 1 September 1971) is a British politician and Member of the European Parliament, representing South East England for the Conservative Party. He was a senior member of the official Vote Leave campaign during the 2016 EU referendum.
- The EU's single market is a single regulatory regime. Membership of it doesn’t mean that you can sell your products into it: pretty much the whole world can do that. Membership means, rather, that you accept a common set of technical standards, and that you submit yourself to the ultimate jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice.
- The most dangerous diminutions of freedom come from those who are convinced of their moral rectitude.
- Spoken by Daniel Hannan on Judge Andrew Napolitano's online streaming FOX News program, Freedom Watch (29 April 2009)
- You cannot spend your way out of a recession or borrow your way out of debt. And when you repeat, in that wooden and perfunctory way, that our situation is better than others, that we are well placed to weather the storm, I have to tell you, you sound like a Brezhnev era apparatchik giving the party line. You know, and we know, and you know that we know that it's nonsense. Everyone knows that Britain is worse off than any other country as we go into these hard times. The IMF has said so. The European Commission has said so. The markets have said so, which is why our currency has devalued by thirty percent. And soon, the voters too will get their chance to say so. They can see what the markets have already seen: that you are the devalued Prime Minister of a devalued Government
- Speech to Gordon Brown in the European Parliament, 24 March 2009 
- We have lived through this mistake for 60 years now.
- Speaking about the NHS, during an interview with Fox News (2 April 2009)
- That idea that car manufacturers might disinvest after we leave the EU? It's a - what's the word? - oh yes. Lie.
- Tweet by verified account (17 September 2015)
- Britain, as a relatively large economy which exports more to non-EU than to EU markets, would be better off trading freely with the single market than belonging to it.
- Column in Conservative Home (1 September 2016)
- Back in 2014, when no one else was planning how to win the referendum, @DouglasCarswell talked tactics at the @Tate. He said: "We can win in one of two circumstances: a visible failure of the renegotiation, or one of the two main party leaders being neutral." In the event, we got both. Thanks @jeremycorbyn.
- I love Turkey. I first traveled there in my early twenties, when I was obsessed by the 1915 Dardanelles campaign. I immediately liked the people — brave, stoical, generous, hospitable and patriotic, if a little inclined to conspiracy theories. I saw Turkey as a model for the region, a successful, Western-oriented Muslim democracy.
- "The republic will survive Trump, but will the Republicans?" (3 September 2018), The Washington Examiner
- What is happening to this country, for the love of God?
- Twitter post (12 September 2018)
Russian aggression (2018)Edit
- "Dan Hannnan: Russian aggression keeps happening because it keeps working" (13 August 2018), The Washington Examiner
- Here is Russia, blatantly threatening a neighboring state with war if it seeks to pursue an independent foreign policy, yet we are so habituated to Russian flouting of international law that we barely notice any more.
- Georgia, like Ukraine and Moldova, is a sovereign state. If we accept, in practice, that Russia can alter borders by force, we signal to Moscow that it can violate international norms with impunity. We can hardly then complain if the Kremlin meddles in American elections, or orders murders on British soil.
- We threaten to rain fire upon North Korea and Iran, yet we quail before an elderly, impoverished and decrepit Russia. How diminished we are as a civilization.
Identity politics (2018)Edit
- "Daniel Hannan: Identity politics. It becomes impossible to avoid giving offence, because the offended keep changing the rules." (22 August 2018), Conservative Home
- If people are determined to be outraged, they will be outraged.
- In an atmosphere when anyone can close down the conversation by saying “I feel uncomfortable”, rational discussion becomes impossible. The empirical method, the basis of Enlightenment civilization, no longer applies.
- Race is said to be non-existent, yet our cultural elites rarely seem to think of anything else.
- Surely the liberal ideal one is where, instead of obsessing about the ethnic backgrounds of actors, we treat their skin-colour as just one more attribute, like hair-colour or the ability to speak the appropriate accent for the production.
Quotes about HannanEdit
- If you don't know who Daniel Hannan is, he is of course a boggle-eyed, slap-headed, unpleasant, revolting, heartless, shit-brained, attention-grabbing, fetid excuse for a prick. Sorry, um, sorry, no, no, no, I think I misread that, could you just scroll the autocue back up a bit, I meant he to say Daniel Hannan is of course a boggle-eyed, slap-headed, unpleasant, revolting, heartless, shit-brained, attention-grabbing, fetid excuse for a prick. Oh no, it turns out I got it right the first time.