Dan Patrick (sportscaster)
Throughout his career, most prominently at ESPN, he has used repeated "catch phrases" to describe various situations. The sporting catch phrase has been at the core of the personality of ESPN's w:Sportscenter since its inception, most prominently with Patrick and Keith Olbermann on the Big Show, the prime time edition of the show. Because of the popularity of the show, many of these catch phrases were repeated around the country. A website has been created to honor the most popular catch phrases by ESPN hosts. Sports Illustrated has created a dictionary of Patrick's terminology.
- (Dare I say) En fuego. (originally delivered as El fuego)
- You can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him.
- Gives him the high cheese.
- The WHIIIIFFFF! (or The WHIIII... on check swings)
- NOTHING but the bottom of the [net/cup]!
- [Golf/Goff] shots, nothing but [golf/goff] shots.
- Soft as church music.
- When SportsCenter does an about face...
- That's why they don't play games on paper. They play them inside television sets. Let's go to the highlights.
- It's the Big Show...
- I'd like to see it again, please.
- Do you wanna play with fire, scarecrow?
- Goodbye. Game over. Drive home safely.
- Freeze it!
- We've done all that we can do.
- He visits the bird sanctuary.
- Defense wins championships!
- Now to the third quarter, because the highlights are better there.
- Not many guys can get away with an outfit like that, but he can.
- HR dot com!
- And now that we've met our contestants, let's play.
- Cherokee! I already have a watch!
- It's a cowhide joyride!
- He's listed as day to day, but, then again, aren't we all?
- Alongside my tag team partner [Keith Olbermann/Kenny Mayne], I'm merely Dan Patrick.
- Going against the grain.
Some of the "phrases" are simple words, but with Patrick's unique, sometimes low-key, anti-dramatic delivery, were still a signature.
- http://www.ajr.org/article.asp?id=460 American Journalism Review, Mark Lisheron, September, 1997
- http://www.nytimes.com/1998/11/01/weekinreview/word-for-word-espn-connectamundo-or-pop-go-the-sports-anchors.html New York Times Alan Schwarz, November 1, 1998
- http://www.sptimes.com/2004/08/06/Sports/Reunions_not_same_wit.shtml Saint Petersburg Times August 6, 2004
- http://www.slate.com/id/2098071/ Slate.com Matt Feeney March 31, 2004
- http://www.sportscenteraltar.com/phrases/phrases.asp Sports Center Altar
- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/dictionary/ Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick Dictionary
- http://www.jefflouderback.com/images/upload/personality_profile3.pdf Jeff Louderbeck