person or organization that has a right to a benefit
A creditor is a party (e.g. person, organization, company, or government) that has a claim on the services of a second party. It is a person or institution to whom money is owed.
|This economics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- CREDITOR, n. One of a tribe of savages dwelling beyond the Financial Straits and dreaded for their desolating incursions.
- Ambrose Bierce, The Cynic's Dictionary (1906); republished as The Devil's Dictionary (1911).
- Creditors have better memories than debtors; and creditors are a superstitious sect, great observers of set days and times.
- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack (1758).
- If any one owe a debt for a loan, and a storm prostrates the grain, or the harvest fail, or the grain does not grow for lack of water; in that year he need not give his creditor any grain, he washes his debt-tablet in water and pays no rent for this year.
- Section 48 of the Code of Hammurabi (translated by Leonard William King, 1910).
- Alternately translated as: If a man owe a debt and Adad inundate his field and carry away the produce, or, though lack of water, grain have not grown in the field, in that year he shall not make any return of grain to the creditor, he shall alter his contract-tablet and he shall not pay the interest for that year.
- The referendum of 5th July will stay in history as a unique moment when a small European nation rose up against debt-bondage...
- Soon after the announcement of the referendum results, I was made aware of a certain preference by some Eurogroup participants, and assorted ‘partners’, for my… ‘absence’ from its meetings; an idea that the Prime Minister judged to be potentially helpful to him in reaching an agreement. For this reason I am leaving the Ministry of Finance today.
- I consider it my duty to help Alexis Tsipras exploit, as he sees fit, the capital that the Greek people granted us through yesterday’s referendum.
- And I shall wear the creditors’ loathing with pride....
- Yanis Varoufakis, Minister-no-more at yanisvaroufakis.eu, 2015/07/06; cited in: I shall wear the creditors’ loathing with pride, in: theguardian.com, 6 July 2015.