(Redirected from Cock-fighting)
- I didn't see it, but it sounds barbaric. It's become like cock-fighting: poor dumb brutes being set upon each other by conniving television producers.
- Cock-fighting must be considered a barbarous diversion.
- Lord Ellenborough, Squires v. Whisken (1811), 3 Camp. Rep. 141; reported in James William Norton-Kyshe, Dictionary of Legal Quotations (1904), p. 30.
- Cockfighting has always been my idea of a great sport— two armed entrées battling to see who'll be dinner.
- P. J. O'Rourke, Holidays in Hell (1989).
- To one that promised to give him hardy cocks that would die fighting, "Prithee," said Cleomenes, "give me cocks that will kill fighting."
- Plutarch, 61 Cleomenes.
- Trade hardly deems the busy day begun
Till his keen eye along the sheet has run;
The blooming daughter throws her needle by,
And reads her schoolmate's marriage with a sigh;
While the grave mother puts her glasses on,
And gives a tear to some old crony gone.
The preacher, too, his Sunday theme lays down
To know what last new folly fills the town;
Lively or sad, life's meanest, mightiest things,
The fate of fighting cocks, or fighting kings.
- Charles Sprague, Curiosity.